Revolver for the wife - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Revolver for the wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default On the right track..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
The softest shooting little .357 I've tried is the Ruger SP101. The alloy S&W J-frames are great guns but tough to shoot well and are very snappy to boot...
^^^Agree. NGIB, I have carried from my largest-Ruger SuperRedHawk .44 (9 1/2"), to my smallest-Beretta 30-32 TomCat.
As of late, I find myself carrying the Wifie's older (pinned barrel) Model 60, .38Spl. Yea, I know-only 5 shots+6 round back up pouch, but is one gun that I would carry more often than say my Kimber full size, or my CZ-75B Stainless.
With 5 rounds of Speer Gold Dot-Short Barreled loads in the cyl. I feel that I have enough punch to get my A$$ out of most problems that may occur.
Don't get me wrong, I still will carry the full size .45acp. or 9MM at times when I can properly cover them, and will not be carrying all day. Also at times-shorts/tee shirt-the TomCat fits right into my back pocket great.
This last week I made a deal on a S&W 637-1=Alloy/Stainless .38Spl. with NO lock. Man it is SWEET! I did take off the Boot style grips and installed an older set of bull horn style S&W brand grips, to fit my hands, but it still seems to feel 1/2 the weight as the Wifie' Model 60!
Been carrying the 637-1 around the house, behind my right hip, in a Bianchi OWB paddle holster, and after a short while, it does not seem to be any more of a load than the cell phone, on the left side hip.
Long story short-a weapon in enough caliber, that you ARE carrying, beats the heck out of one that's too large/heavy and spends most of it's time in the truck, or at home, in your safe! Or actually-underwear drawer!
Just my 2 cents from SD-CC better than 30 years...Bill.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 12-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Some wives do not want the husbands to buy them their shoes.
Some wives do not want the husbands to buy them their handguns.

Does she want a revolver? Or the "cute" semi-auto? I would get her to a class that offers both types of firearms and let her decide.

She would be more willing to carry the firearm of her choice.
This sounds like the perfect answer to me! When my Mom got started getting into guns, my grandfather bought her this tiny little .25 handgun.....she soon replaced it with a S&W full size .45. Its hard to say what people would really like to protect their lives.

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default handgun for wife

the best first handgun for a wife in my opinion .....cost,value ,reliability,easy to use ,would be a taurus model 85..in 38 special ,5 shot ,+p rated ,lifetime warranty, get one in 2-3 inch barrels ,regular hammer or bobbed..with the 3 inch barrel +p 38 hollow points are very hot ,will kill any bad guy dead,dead ,dead even if he's amped up on dope..teach her well ....2 to the chest, one to the head

Old 12-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #14

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Before she decides, make sure she tries the Elsie Ahrrrrrr.

357.jpg

ruger-lcr-357-5450.jpg

.357 Mag power and .38 Spl practice.

If she has any interest in an autoloader the Elsie Pea is also worth a look. This is my daughter's Raspberry Pea;

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #15

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

My wife chose her S&W 642. She specifically did NOT want the pink one or the Lady Smith. She likes a revolver because of the simplicity.

We finally went to the range last night and she shot a box and a half. I was so proud of her, leaning into the shots. It is NOT a fun gun to shoot, but she handles it well. In a SD situation, you're not firing 50 rounds.

She is carrying Remington 158 gr +p LSWCHP rounds. They are really smokey and a little harsh on the recoil, but not as bad as Gold Dots, and VERY effective.

A little story...I shot a few cylinders (it has Crimson Trace) and commented that the laser was perfectly set for 5 yards--hole right on the red dot. And she responded, "When I was firing it, the hole was always a few inches below the laser." I just had to smile and let her know that it was her technique...not the laser. It's her first gun. She'll improve. Better a rough technique and ARMED, than just having pepper spray.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #16

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Just saw your post, Cane. I just fired my LCP for the first time yesterday, too. I have heard that it is not that fun, but I really enjoyed it. It is no plinker, but the recoil was pretty easy and it didn't pinch me or bite me anywhere. The trigger is REALLY long.......................

But it is a good option for a lady's pocket. But, Cane, I know you'd prefer your LCR to her LCP any day, considering the greater power.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #17

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Cane, I know you'd prefer your LCR to her LCP any day, considering the greater power.
You bet!

I'm seriously thinking about moving up to the .357. I have become a huge fan of the LCR as it serves me well here in South Florida.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-04-2010, 02:51 AM   #18

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Cane, your LCR is pretty, but I can stroke the hammer on my 637 Smith if need be. BTW, how do you like the pict. of Chlo that I dug up for my avatar??

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 12-04-2010, 02:56 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5630 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Some wives do not want the husbands to buy them their shoes.
Some wives do not want the husbands to buy them their handguns.

Does she want a revolver? Or the "cute" semi-auto? I would get her to a class that offers both types of firearms and let her decide.

She would be more willing to carry the firearm of her choice.
i totally second this. would like to add take her to a range that rents guns and let her try a wide variety she might surprise ya. my wife likes the desert eagle in 50AE and 44mag she also likes the bersa thunder 7 round 380acp. she hasnt found anything else she likes handgun wise.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-04-2010, 02:57 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5630 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Before she decides, make sure she tries the Elsie Ahrrrrrr.

Attachment 22392

Attachment 22393

.357 Mag power and .38 Spl practice.

If she has any interest in an autoloader the Elsie Pea is also worth a look. This is my daughter's Raspberry Pea;

too bad that slide isnt pink they mighta sold me one!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...