Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Revolver and rifle ammo - save of ammo??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/revolver-rifle-ammo-save-ammo-30596/)

jbscuba 08-19-2010 01:22 AM

Revolver and rifle ammo - save of ammo???

I was talking to an NRA instructor and he only buys revolvers and rifle with same calibre. That way he saves on ammo when target shooting. Anyone's thoughts on this??

spittinfire 08-19-2010 01:37 AM

I would love to have a lever action rifle in 357 as well as 44 since I own a number of pistols in both. The problem for me is that the rifles carry a steep price tag. I see where he is coming from and I support his idea.

Welcome to the forum! Swing by the intro area and let everyone know you are here.

danf_fl 08-19-2010 02:07 AM

Nice idea for target or Single Action Shooter competition.

freefall 08-19-2010 02:26 AM

I'd like a Marlin .357, it would be fun. Seems awfully limiting though to just exclude yourself from all those rifle calibers.

c3shooter 08-19-2010 11:56 AM

Don't see too many revolvers in 8mm Mauser! :rolleyes:

He is limiting his choices to pistol caliber ammo for his long gun. Sort of like deciding that your car must use the same engine as your Moped. Its OK, as long as you never want to go over 20 MPH.

Txhillbilly 08-19-2010 02:28 PM

It is nice to have a rifle and pistol in the same caliber at times,but I would not want to limit myself to only having guns in those calibers. I do have both in 44 Magnum and 45 Colt.I also have a lever action 357,but no longer have a pistol in that caliber.
You really don't save much money on ammo though,if shooting factory ammo.

pioneer461 08-19-2010 07:08 PM

That began sometime during the 19th Century, when folks had to carry everything while on horseback. Makes sense for those times, because I can only imagine that ammo supplies could be rather scarce, even more-so than today.

Prior to the not-so-Civil War using muzzle loading technology, folks carried as much black powder as they physically could, but either needed different size musket balls, or made their own from a hunk of lead. Not a lot of standardization in those days.

diggsbakes 08-20-2010 10:58 PM

I love the idea of having both rifles and revolvers chambered the same, but I'm also a Revolver and Lever action junkie.

However, that aspect is only a small fraction of the general directions I go when choosing my next rifle. I could not imagine limiting my rifle shooting to .357 and .44 mag (which I'm assuming he's referring to).

Datam 10-12-2010 08:50 PM

I enjoy Cowboy Action Shooting and own a Ruger Blackhawk and a Virginian Dragoon in
.357 (We shoot .38's on the range) I have a Marlin 1894c rifle to complete the set. they are great combinations.

FCross7 10-13-2010 12:01 AM

If hes that big into having rifles and pistols in the same caliber, he ought to get a Glock 21 and a KRISS Super V. Not only do they use the same ammo, but the same mags as well. Plus that Super V is just friggin sweet.

-Fred