Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Revolver parts question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Revolver parts question.

I have an old revovler I bought at a gun show not too long ago. I knew when I baught the thing that it would work but it'd need some tuning and elbow-grease involved to get it to work decently. *takes a deep breath* Its an Rohm Gmrh Sontheim / Brenz. Its the Model 57 in 44 magnum.
I feel dirty for telling you guys I actually paid for the thing because I know how most people view the RG revolvers and most of them have good reason to hate them.
Here's my problems:
1. When I actually used the gun I was getting soft primer hits when I would pull the trigger with just enough force to release the hammer in DA the thing would fire sometimes and sometimes it wouldn't. When it wouldnt the primers had been hit but not enough to make them go off. In SA mode the gun barely ever fired and always gave soft primer hits.
2. When I took the gun apart to fix the problem I undid the firing pin bushing and the firing pin spring when flying into the oblivion.

First of all, I have to find replacement parts, Bob's Gun Shop has parts for a RG-57 but its listed as a 357 Magnum. Do you think the springs would match up to my 44 magnum's springs?
The other route I could take is getting springs for a different model like a 38 special of the same type build, I guess they'd be the same as the 357 mag springs but with better availability from Numrich's website. The final thing is to just get a new firing pin spring to replace the one I lost and see if I can make the current springs work somehow.

I figured I'd replace all the springs in the gun with new ones to see if this fixes the problem with soft primer hits. The trigger spring, firing pin spring, mainspring. I figure if this doesnt fix the problem I would compress the mainspring somehow, thereby making the hammer have more force on the firing pin when fired.
Do you think this will work?

I'm merely trying to work again, it was fun to shoot before I lost the firing pin spring and I didnt have any safety issues with it. Just need a little advice on the situation.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7560 Times on 3293 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Well............ While the RG would not be my first choice in firearms, some of the larger calibers were better built than the .22 Short Paperweight- uh, REVOLVER that we usually associate with that name.

Good news- Numrich (gunpartscorp.com) DOES have SOME RG parts in stock- like springs. Bad news- they do not list a Model 57. Good news- some of the other (38 Spec, 357) MAY work- and you CAN email them to ask.

BTW, here is a schematic and parts diagram for one of the 38s- Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

The springs may be tired- if you can't get one from Nurich, a smith should be able to replace them. Brownells DOES carry coil spring stock in standard sizes, but I would get a smith to replace them. SOME of these had a hammer block safety- be sure that is not causing hammer to drag. Flush the crud out of the inside of the frame (gunscrubber spray, or carberator cleaner- wear glasses with either one) Light lube, see what happens.

Also, check that parts on cylinder and crane are tight and in the place they should be. A cylinder that is allowed to move forward would give light strikes.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 04-24-2010 at 01:35 AM.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Never thought of the cylinder moving forward. I doubt its that but I'll make sure that isnt the problem. The schematic looks like my revolver, takes apart just like that one, but you know how the little things can make a difference. How much do you think it would cost to make a new set of springs on average and is it something most gunsmiths with good experience can do? We have a smith in town, I dont know if he can do it but I know I sure as hell cant.
As for the hammer block safety, are to talking about part 29 in that schematic, or is the part you are talking about not listed in the picture?
My revolver have part 29 but I'm not sure exactly how to keep it from dragging.

As a side thought about these old German revovlers, I worked on an old OMEGA 22 short, it worked flawlessly after I cleaned it up and smoothed a couple edges but it wasnt part of the RG revolvers. So this only makes my second revolver to do any type of gunsmithing on.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2273 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

Congrats on purchasing a "project". To identify what parts may be hanging things up, I use a Sharpie pen on the suspected area. Good luck!

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 04-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7560 Times on 3293 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Apolgies, been outa town. Yes, Sharpie is good- I have also used lipstick (ASK first or suffer living hell) to check for rubbing parts. Yes, that is the part I was referring to- it must move out of way of hammer at full cock- see that it is not crudded up. Any decent smith should be able to replace a spring. Spring stock is a standard item in gunsmith supply catalogs.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Apolgies, been outa town. Yes, Sharpie is good- I have also used lipstick (ASK first or suffer living hell) to check for rubbing parts. Yes, that is the part I was referring to- it must move out of way of hammer at full cock- see that it is not crudded up. Any decent smith should be able to replace a spring. Spring stock is a standard item in gunsmith supply catalogs.
Ok, I'll have to keep that in mind. Plan on fixing it this weekend. I get my check at the end of the month and I'll be purchasing the spring for the 38 special to see if it helps. If not I'll have to go to the smith in town to see if he can fix the spring issue. I have a feeling its both the spring and the cylinder movement problem all working against me. I faintly remember the cylinder moving when I would clean it. Never thought anything of it until you mentioned it.
I've heard the dycam or whatever does the same thing for rubbing parts, not going to spend that much when I can just use a sharpie I have laying around

Old 04-30-2010, 05:41 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well crap.
I started to put the revolver back together tonight and as I was putting the cylinder in place I found out that ANOTHER spring is screwed up. Apparently the ejector rod return spring likes to get stuck on the ejector.
So far, I'm merely putting the revolver back together and marking what pieces I'm missing and going to buy them as needed. I'll have a gunsmith make a whole set of springs for the entire gun and fix any cylinder movement. Hopefully it wont cost me and arm and a leg. I'll probably have him hot-blue the gun once (and if) it works and if he has the means to do so.
I may have to go between two smiths for both jobs. I just know I cant make the springs and dont have the tools for a hot-blue refinish.
I bought the gun for $150 and I'll probably spend $150 on it with parts and services. I'm going to get my money's worth even if it makes me grow gray hairs from it damnit! lol
I hate to actually have to ask for help...it kinda sucks...its like admiting defeat almost.