Revolver for my sister.... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Revolver for my sister....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog View Post
Yeah I was actually thinking of the 3" SP101 at first... I just got myself a 4" GP100 and am very pleased with it!!! I thought about the Taurus line because they're a bit cheaper, but then I realized she probably wouldn't mind a used firearm. I'll go take a look at BudsGunShop to get an idea on some prices for a semi-used SP101. Thanks for all the replies!!
I was thinking "used GP100". I bought a 6" blued one last year for about $400, NIB (though there is a oily spot by the hammer). My future sister in law loves shooting my GP100 & comments that it "kicks" much less than her .38 Titan. Go for the longer barrel; if nothing else, it will make a better club.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #12
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8404 Times on 5023 Posts
Likes Given: 10928

I am a female and for my first gun I have a Ruger GP100, 6" barrel, stainless. I like the gun and the recoil isn't bad at all, in my opinion. It's a 'big' gun but I think that helps with the recoil. That's is my recommendation and my experience.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #13
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Product: Model GOVERNOR

The Judge is a gimmick gun and so is this one IMHO...
Not if you say the name with a British accent . . . . . . . . . The Gov'na

But, yeah; not one I would suggest as a first firearm either. Doyle, get some in her hands. Take her to the store and let her try on a few. They may be a bit pricey-er, but try the some in the Lady Smith line.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #14

Liked 1434 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

There are two perfect guns for this application, both I would trust my life with and also my sister's.

The first is way too expensive. (But we all need a bucket list!)

The Colt Python.

And the second I picked up for <$400.

The S&W M19-3.

As you can see I prefer 6" barrels but for your sister I think a 4" would be a tad more manageable.

You can't go wrong with a vintage S&W wheel gun!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #15

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Dang, Cane... I think my sister would have to fight me for a Colt Python!! I am thinking that a longer barrel would be better (4 to 6) than a snubby. She says she wants a little revolver, but if I let her shoot my GP100 she may change her mind and want something more like it.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:25 AM   #16

For whatever it's worth, I really like the Ruger LCR with 38 SPL +P hollow points. And being hammerless, it would be easy to fire from pocket or purse, if necessary.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:36 AM   #17
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The heft might make it something she puts in the sock drawer and forgets. My suggestion would be a S&W Airweight or a Ruger LCR.

Something like this

s-w-642-006a.jpg  

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #18

Keep in mind WDB that this is only a weapon she needs for home defense. My sister has no interest in getting a ccw... A heavier gun would encourage her to practice more because of the less felt recoil.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:42 AM   #19
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog View Post
Keep in mind WDB that this is only a weapon she needs for home defense. My sister has no interest in getting a ccw... A heavier gun would encourage her to practice more because of the less felt recoil.

Yep I got that, just thinking the lighter weight might feel better in hand and be easier to obtain target. With some over sized rubber grips the recoil wouldn't be that much more. My daughter (5'-4" 115 pounds) shoots well with my airweight. She doen't care for my S&W 586 at all due to the weight.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Yep I got that, just thinking the lighter weight might feel better in hand and be easier to obtain target. With some over sized rubber grips the recoil wouldn't be that much more. My daughter (5'-4" 115 pounds) shoots well with my airweight. She doen't care for my S&W 586 at all due to the weight.
Yeah, I see your point. I just need to get her to shoot both and go from there. She may be surprised and end up wanting a light weight revolver.