Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Revolver for my sister....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Revolver for my sister....

Hello all. For the past few years my sister and I have shared a house, but in the near future she will finally be getting a place of her own. I've asked her in the past if she would feel comfortable having a pistol in her new place for protection, and she said she would. Knowing my sister, I feel that a revolver would be her best bet. Easy to clean and easy to shoot. I want to get her something chambered in 357mag that way she could practice with 38s and load up 357s at home. Also am looking into heavier, stainless revolvers because I think the heft will help with felt recoil and that would allow her to practice. She'll be buying the gun herself (although I may help out since she's my sis) so I was looking into the Taurus line of revolvers. However, I am not familiar with Taurus and would like some feedback from those who are. Also I'm open to any other suggestions you may have.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

For revolvers, stay with S&W and Ruger as that other brand is a crap shoot. A 3 inch SP101 is just about the perfect revolver in my book. Not to large, built very well, and easy to shoot. I have a pair of them and I love them...

Old 03-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ruger SP101...

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 03-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for you, me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 03-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I agree with the caliber choice you are thinking of, and I agree with Jay about the comfort thing... after you get a few opinions and choices take your sister out and let her test them out at a range that rents different firearms or at least to a LGS that has a large selection that she can handle. I also agree with NGIB stick with S&W and Ruger... although I just recently went through a bunch of problems with my first revolver which is a S&W 629 44mag but S&W did respond quickly and eventually replaced it with a brand new one that so far has preformed flawlessly. I've never had any problems with any of my semi-autos... I just saying you may not want to rule out SA's they can be just as dependable and very easy to maintain IMHO

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 03-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

Doyle,

I also like the Smiths and the Rugers. But I did buy my aunt and a good friend a Taurus 38 Snuby years ago. And they were good weapons. Unless their quality has went down in past years there is nothing wrong with the Taurus revolvers. But as far as a good weight weapon for her I would have to look at the 4" Ruger. And the caliber is a good choice for her because you can even shoot 38s and 38 wad cutters in the 357 mag pistol. Which is great for target practice and learning to use the revolver properly. Then load it with good 357 defense loads for protection. I would also think the 4" barrel would be a good choice. Shorter barrels for the novice is not usually a good confidence builder unless you have them shoot 5 yards an in. That's my two cents!
Having her try some weapons before purchasing as one of the other guys mentioned is a great idea. And also the one that fits and she shoots the best!
Good Luck!

Old 03-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Product: Model GOVERNOR

This looks promising.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 03-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007BondJamesBond007 View Post
Product: Model GOVERNOR

This looks promising.

Promising for doing what? The Judge is a gimmick gun and so is this one IMHO...

Old 03-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Short barrel, light weight = much more perceived recoil.... physics... up to each individual, but don't let the obvious escape you....

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 03-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #10

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Yeah I was actually thinking of the 3" SP101 at first... I just got myself a 4" GP100 and am very pleased with it!!! I thought about the Taurus line because they're a bit cheaper, but then I realized she probably wouldn't mind a used firearm. I'll go take a look at BudsGunShop to get an idea on some prices for a semi-used SP101. Thanks for all the replies!!