Revolver help...
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Revolver help...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Revolver help...

Hey guys! I recently went out with my grandpa and fired his .38/.357
The first handful of times, I was shooting groups under 4 inches. (Best one was 1.8 inches)
But anyways, the last few times, I was hitting bad groups. Can any of you help me stop shaking and help with technique?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #2

Liked 355 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Probably fatigue setting in. Work on your forearm, shoulder and hand strength. That will help you shoot more consistently for longer periods of time.

People Like This 
Old 11-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 691 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 211

You started anticipating recoil and reacting to it. Very common to shoot well with a "new" gun for a few shots, then the flinching takes over. After my first full cylinder of shots I only load one, leave the other chambers with the spent brass, I close my eyes and give the cylinder a spin. Then I start shooting. It's very frustrating, but an excellent way to control flinching. good luck
People Like This 
Old 11-04-2013, 12:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8oldguy
You started anticipating recoil and reacting to it. Very common to shoot well with a "new" gun for a few shots, then the flinching takes over. After my first full cylinder of shots I only load one, leave the other chambers with the spent brass, I close my eyes and give the cylinder a spin. Then I start shooting. It's very frustrating, but an excellent way to control flinching. good luck
Thanks for that tip. Too bad you can't do that with rifles and shotguns..

Old 11-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks
Probably fatigue setting in. Work on your forearm, shoulder and hand strength. That will help you shoot more consistently for longer periods of time.
Alright thanks. And what do you mean by that? Lifting weights?

Old 11-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 691 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth_A7X View Post
Thanks for that tip. Too bad you can't do that with rifles and shotguns..
I'm not much of a long gun fellow. All I have is a lever action 22. I would think you could do the same thing with rifles and shotguns. Get some dummy rounds and have someone else load up your long guns for you, mixing the duds with the live rounds. Just be very careful when you do this to remember to clear your firearms when you're through shooting. While it's good practice, it's also easy to forget and carry a loaded gun home. good luck

Old 11-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8oldguy
I'm not much of a long gun fellow. All I have is a lever action 22. I would think you could do the same thing with rifles and shotguns. Get some dummy rounds and have someone else load up your long guns for you, mixing the duds with the live rounds. Just be very careful when you do this to remember to clear your firearms when you're through shooting. While it's good practice, it's also easy to forget and carry a loaded gun home. good luck
Good point. Thanks mister

Old 11-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4623 Times on 3122 Posts
Likes Given: 2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8oldguy View Post
You started anticipating recoil and reacting to it.
An excellent point. Anticipating recoil not only ruins the accuracy, it can jam a semiauto (which is mistakenly attributed to limp wristing) A few practical suggestions:

1. Slow down. Watch your breathing. Get some air in and out, then hold it before you acquire the target and engage. In a string of shots, running out of breath will give you an impulse to shoot faster and "get it over with". It never works.

2. Don't hold the revolver in a death grip. It will cause muscle tremor. This is not a Glock. Controlling muzzle flip will work better than trying to totally defeat it.

3. Focus on the front sight. It is better for aiming, but it also reduces the perceived shaking. Our peripheral vision is better at seeing motion. If you focus on the target, you will see the front sight peripherally, and it will seem to shake more, thus unnerving you and compounding the error.

4. Unless you are handicapped, your arms are strong enough to steady a 2-pound handgun in a two hand grip. Work on it. Where to place each finger is best learned hands on, no pun intended.

5. For best results, shoot when you feel well and rested. It's all mental. If you are anxious about some stuff, you may not be able to focus 100% on your shooting technique.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 11-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #9

Liked 3621 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 2524

One more thing to try is - shoot only .38 spl. until you have gotten your groups back down to where you want them, and SQUEEZE the trigger easy, don't jerk it.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:46 AM   #10

Liked 189 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 196

I know my shooting varies as I shoot...often my first salvo is a bit sloppy and my groups really tighten up after that. Depending on what I am shooting, often heavy recoiling guns like 45 auto, 357 magnum and 44 magnum, my shooting accuracy will tend to decline. I think not only physical strength is an opportunity, but also mental strength. Concentration and ultimately lots of practice are the keys. If I sense that I am fatiguing then I will just stop shooting for some period of time, maybe for the day, so as not to develop bad habits.