Revolver grips - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Revolver grips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 04:04 AM   #11
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like wood grips, most of my revolvers are S&W never found anything better than the stock checkered grips. Feel and yes the look. It works for me.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Overall, I prefer wood over rubber, for pictures & general appearance.
Grips vary so much in shape & feel from gun-to-gun, that it's hard to nail down a "definite like" across the board. I agree that rubber grips are often my preference at the range & the Pachmayr Gripper is a great overall rubber grip, but I also like the rubber Hogue on certain guns...but it feels terrible on others.

While some factory wood grips look good, they don't "feel right" to me at the range. Two classic examples are these two. The Colt grip gets too fat at the bottom & kicks the pinky out too far for a comfortable feel...

...and with a long barrel, these factory Rugers allow too much slip when shooting. They'd probably be just fine with a 5" or shorter barrel.

So I use some smooth Herretts, that feel excellent to me & still allow the gun to nose-up in the hand during recoil.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Like I said, I like rubber Hogues of some guns & they feel perfect on a small frame Dan Wesson.

I must say though, that some of the most comfortable grips ever, are these old Porkchop combat grips! They don't look the coolest, but they're sure comfy.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #14

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I don't care for rubber grips due to the "sticking" factor. Synthetic or wood makes more sense to me.

I have the hard plastic Hogues on my S&W M15, but ground off the finger grooves, and lightly adjusted the palmswells. Fits my hand very well.

Just after S&W stopped using wood on the factory guns I stopped at their booth at SHOT to ask why. They said the reason was two fold.

1.) Wood was getting too expensive and Uncle Mikes Rubber was dirt cheap. 2.) The wood grips did not always fit perfectly and lots of end users were complaining.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:18 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would like to get a set of rubber and a set of woods for this, Colt Official Police .38 sp, circa 1947, these are origional plastics and they are way too small for my hand. I'm shopping around but the pickins are kinda slim for this oldie, any body have any suggestions?

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-26-2010, 01:19 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

oops forgot to add the pic! duh!

dsc02026.jpg  

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-26-2010, 03:54 AM   #17

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
I would like to get a set of rubber and a set of woods for this, Colt Official Police .38 sp, circa 1947, these are origional plastics and they are way too small for my hand. I'm shopping around but the pickins are kinda slim for this oldie, any body have any suggestions?
You could always try a "Tyler T Grip". I use them on my "J" frames with factory wood.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 04-29-2010, 08:13 AM   #18

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger Fan View Post
Like I said, I like rubber Hogues of some guns & they feel perfect on a small frame Dan Wesson.

I must say though, that some of the most comfortable grips ever, are these old Porkchop combat grips! They don't look the coolest, but they're sure comfy.
Off topic but those mountains look a lot like the Santa Rosa Range Northeast of Winnemucca, Nevada.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I had my choice, a good custom cut wood grip is better than any Hogue grip. Hogues always felt like once you grip the gun your hand cant adjust too easily. I like the Pachmayr because of the way they feel but they are definitely not a presentation worthy set of grips no-matter how you toss it IMHO.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #20

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 233

When I bought my Redhawk 20+ years ago the stock grips were so small I couldn't stand them so as soon as I could find them I bought Pachmayr grips. They've worn smooth in a few places but are still very comfortable. I have a friend that has a Taurus Tracker 44 mag that he had the stock rubber grips come apart, I told him to get Hogues which he did and he's very happy, they don't feel too bad it's just that I don't care for the Tracker. When I owned a Security Six the grips were a lot like the Redhawks, small, so I made my own out of black walnut which turned out to be very comfortable and looked good too. The reason I happen to like rubber grips like Pachmayr is that here in Oregon I'm often out in rain and snow for extended periods of time and wood grips just don't hold up for me. I will say that S&W makes the best looking factory wood grips, the model 29 I owned really felt good in my hand as well.