Revolver grips
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Revolver grips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default Revolver grips

What is your preference in revolver grips - rubber or wood? For me, I like the looks of a wood stocked revolver but I actually prefer shooting them with rubber grips. As far as the rubber grips go, I prefer the Pachmayr to the Hogus as I like the backstrap to be covered as it makes them more comfortable to shoot - especially magnums. One of my favorite grips is the Pachmayr Presentation but they are getting hard to find. They're shaped just like a wood target stock but are very comfortable while shooting. Here's my blued Trooper Mk III wearing both types...

img_trp4p.jpg   img_trp4-x.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #2

I think aestetically revolvers need wood grips. Never seen a pair a rubber grips look better than wood on a revolver (IMO). However, given the choice of which to shoot with, I go with rubber all day.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” J. Cooper

Old 04-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I am the same way. I rarely post any pix of my revolvers wearing rubber as they just don't look as nice. I was irritated when S&W started selling their pricey guns wearing cheap Hogue grips. When I bought a S&W, the first thing I did was get a set of "shooting" grips - now I have to get a set of "display" grips - which is a lot pricier. My 617 (a $650 .22, jeebus!) came with cheap rubber grips and I had to go out and buy these so it looked cute...

img_s617-x.jpg  

Old 04-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I was irritated when S&W started selling their pricey guns wearing cheap Hogue grips.
Yeah, I've never shot a gun with Hougues on it, but, it almost seems that if S&W is gonna "add" the rubbers, the stock wooden grips should come with the gun as an option added into the package, lol, especially at $650.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” J. Cooper

Old 04-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

My S&W revolvers all wore Ahrends finger groove wood grips except for the missus' model 60 and my model 37. I really like the feel and he does beautiful work.

At this point, my only revolver is my 6" GP100 and Ahrends doesn't make grips for Rugers, otherwise, it would be wearing them. I'm making due with Pachmayr finger groove grips, which I prefer over synthetic Hogues.

I still have the original old style Ruger grips, the rubber grips with the wood insert, but the speedloader cutout hits my thumb kind of weird, hence the Pachmayr's.

The Hogue finger groove grips look too long to me for some reason, but I may buy a set eventually, just because I prefer wood grips on a revolver.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #6

I just swiched out my factory grips on my ruger GP-100 for hogue rubber ones. At first on the range i was shooting a little high, but now iam used to them and shooting much tighter groups, vast improvement from the old grips.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #7

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

I switched the factory grip on my Taurus 85 to a Hogue. I like how it fits in my hand, but it prints a little more and since the backstrap is not covered, it is less pleasent to shoot. Wood looks nice on a BFR, but I'd take rubber on a BUG anyday

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 04-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'll be the contrarian (shocker) I do NOT care for rubber grips, except for the Taurus ribber grips on my bro-in-laws .357 snubbie. I really like the factory wood grips on my Security Six and also the ones on my Bisley .44. Shot a Super Blackhawk with Pachmeyers one time, hated it. Feels like the gun moves inside the grips.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:32 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I think I'm somewhere in the middle. I like wood grips for presentation and shooting, especially if they are properly sized and/or finger grooved. However, some guns (mostly smaller mags) feel great to shoot with rubber grips and are more practical to carry because of no fear of damage.

Some of my wooded grips are custom and they are a joy to shoot with. Some are factory and could be more comfy, but still feel good.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:11 AM   #10

Liked 1422 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I sure likes me some wood grips. (If I can't get them in snake hide.)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello