You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Revolver decision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default Revolver decision

I'm thinking of adding a revolver to my collection, its intended purpose is cc. I don't know a whole lot about them as I've never owned one other than the old .22 we have (actually my wives, her dad gave it to her).

I visited my lgs as they have a pretty good selection of all types of guns and a friend works there so I can get an unbiased, none pushy opinion. He showed me some Taurus model 85's they had in stock. They had the ultralite model, which they let me test fire (5 rounds) out back and the steel frame model. I liked the way it fit my hand and when fired the recoil was minimal. It was .38 spl BTW, I thought there would be a little more recoil. Keep in mind the only revolver I've fired was that .22lr/mag.

The only thing I wasnt crazy about, the ultralite model I fired had an anti-snag shroud surrounding the hammer which made it a little difficult to cock. But its da so I know cocking the hammer isn't neccessary and I can understand the idea of the shroud.

Basically just asking for input from 85 owners. How do u guys like it? How's the accuracy with that short barrel?

Or got another make and model you like better let's here it. Gimme some suggestions. Take me to wheel gun school so to speak.

Thanx gentlemen, and ladies for the help.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #2

Liked 5756 Times on 3368 Posts
Likes Given: 4889

I am very envious of my nephew's lil SP101 by Ruger.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i would get a ruger lcr

Old 08-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #4

Liked 620 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate-soldier5 View Post
i would get a ruger lcr
An LCR or S&W Bodyguard .38spl+p.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #5

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

Check out the Ruger LCR, I picked one up in .38spl+p a couple weeks ago and love it.

forumrunner_20120817_175631.jpg

The trigger is so smooth and I really like the grips. Plus so easy to conceal in front pocket or IWB.
phildenton Likes This 
Old 08-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

+1 for lcr.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:52 AM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Also consider a S&W 642. I just picked one up and it serves it's purpose well. It's not a fun range gun, but it and the LCR hide well in a pocket or IWB. At 10 yards it is as accurate as it needs to be.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:46 AM   #8

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I have a S&W 438 - Airlight 38. It and the LCR are very similar. Concealable and lightweight. The light weight part gives them more recoil - but you would expect that - since it is a weight thing. Short barrel - it's a conceal thing - makes for not great accuracy. But I do well at 25 feet.

I have read that the LCR handles recoil better than you would expect for it's size and weight - suspicions are due to the butt being completely surrounded by the rubber grip - whereas the S&W has the metal frame exposed to your hand - down the middle of the grip - so no cushioning along this frame strip.

I've never shot the LCR, but I think if I was buying again I would go for the Ruger rather than the S&W - knowing what I know now.
I doubt that there is much of a difference between them, though.

It is well known that the Ruger has just about the smoothest trigger out there in a revolver. I have tried it - and it is true. Very smooth and lighter than the S&W.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1769 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I'm thinking of adding a revolver to my collection, its intended purpose is cc. I don't know a whole lot about them as I've never owned one other than the old .22 we have (actually my wives, her dad gave it to her).

I visited my lgs as they have a pretty good selection of all types of guns and a friend works there so I can get an unbiased, none pushy opinion. He showed me some Taurus model 85's they had in stock. They had the ultralite model, which they let me test fire (5 rounds) out back and the steel frame model. I liked the way it fit my hand and when fired the recoil was minimal. It was .38 spl BTW, I thought there would be a little more recoil. Keep in mind the only revolver I've fired was that .22lr/mag.

The only thing I wasnt crazy about, the ultralite model I fired had an anti-snag shroud surrounding the hammer which made it a little difficult to cock. But its da so I know cocking the hammer isn't neccessary and I can understand the idea of the shroud.

Basically just asking for input from 85 owners. How do u guys like it? How's the accuracy with that short barrel?

Or got another make and model you like better let's here it. Gimme some suggestions. Take me to wheel gun school so to speak.

Thanx gentlemen, and ladies for the help.
If you're buying a short barrel revolver and expecting to use single action for increased accuracy you're buying the wrong gun. A short barrel revolver is a close in, him or me, defensive weapon. It's not a target gun.

Personally I like the shrouded hammer revolvers for the simple reason that I still have the option of SA or DA. I only shoot double action when practicing, but it's nice to have a choice.

I really don't have a favorite snubby, but my least favorite revolvers for the last 5 years have been Taurus. They look decent on the outside, and they do fit the hand well. It's when you get inside that you wonder what you have done. They're nice guns if you can overlook the crap metal and terrible quality control.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #10

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402

If you're buying a short barrel revolver and expecting to use single action for increased accuracy you're buying the wrong gun. A short barrel revolver is a close in, him or me, defensive weapon. It's not a target gun.

Personally I like the shrouded hammer revolvers for the simple reason that I still have the option of SA or DA. I only shoot double action when practicing, but it's nice to have a choice.

I really don't have a favorite snubby, but my least favorite revolvers for the last 5 years have been Taurus. They look decent on the outside, and they do fit the hand well. It's when you get inside that you wonder what you have done. They're nice guns if you can overlook the crap metal and terrible quality control.
No I'm not looking to win any shooting matches with it as its purpose will be to carry. I just don't want something that is so inaccurate it won't hit the broadside of a barn at 5 paces.

I've never owned a Taurus but I've shot one or two Taurus autos. Yesterday was the first day I'd gone and looked at them so I'm still in the "explore my opinions" stage. I'll check out the Ruger lcr too.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380