Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Revolver cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts

Default Revolver cleaning

I am looking for some tips. I recently purchased a Smith 629, which is my first wheel gun. Had a great time shooting it, then went home to clean and the powder (lead?) at the front of the cylinder will not come off no matter what I try. First I tried CLP, then Gunscrubber but neither one does a thing to those marks no matter how much elbow grease I put into it.

The gun is stainless finish.

Tips?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #2

Likes Given: 1

Lead-removing cloth, cut into patch-sized squares, rub manually on cylinder face or Mother's Mag polish. Some folks say to leave the fouling on until it interferes with function, but I'm a little OC about my shiny guns.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPO15
Lead-removing cloth, cut into patch-sized squares, rub manually on cylinder face or Mother's Mag polish. Some folks say to leave the fouling on until it interferes with function, but I'm a little OC about my shiny guns.
I'll try that. Like you, I am a cleaning freak and this bothers me to no end.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 694 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 211

There is a thread running titled 629. Many options discussed. I use the Birchwood Casey lead cloth too, but the 629 thread is interesting.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 06-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #5

Just to give you the full story; some folks will argue ( w/ documentation) that the lead removal will also remove the cylinder material. It may do so, but not enough to matter in my lifetime.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:28 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I use Lead Free cloths from Kleenbore on my stainless revolvers. You are not supposed to use it on blued finishes.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #7

Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I use chrome cleaner, it will all come off in about 10 seconds, I imagine any automotive cleaner designed to remove brake dust or clean wheels will have the same effect, but after I use it I clean the cylinder face with my normal methods to make sure there is no chrome cleaner residue.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 06-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #8

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I cut a scotch pad into squares, dip a square into Hoppes, and scrub it off. Doesn't come off in 10 seconds, but it works. It helps to wet it down with Hoppes and soak for a couple hours. I cut the Scotch pads into about six squares (one square per cleaning). There is a YouTube vid on this somewhere.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I dont know if u have acsess to a ultra sonic cleaner . But I would remove the crane screw just above the trigger slide the yoke out and place the cylinder in th ultrasonic cleaner. I did this for two cycles of 30 min and it took carbon off that scrubbing with a brass brush didnt take off ...
F.k.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 06-16-2013, 02:13 AM   #10

Liked 162 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Kano Kroil works wonders on my SP 101, she was loaned out to a good friend and he tried and tried to get her clean again with no success. Another friend recommended Kroil and it took a little soaking time but she was spotless the next day.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Steel_Talon Likes This