Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Revolver cleaning (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/revolver-cleaning-92198/)

nixfix 06-12-2013 04:11 PM

Revolver cleaning

I am looking for some tips. I recently purchased a Smith 629, which is my first wheel gun. Had a great time shooting it, then went home to clean and the powder (lead?) at the front of the cylinder will not come off no matter what I try. First I tried CLP, then Gunscrubber but neither one does a thing to those marks no matter how much elbow grease I put into it.

The gun is stainless finish.

Tips?

CPO15 06-12-2013 04:55 PM

Lead-removing cloth, cut into patch-sized squares, rub manually on cylinder face or Mother's Mag polish. Some folks say to leave the fouling on until it interferes with function, but I'm a little OC about my shiny guns.

nixfix 06-12-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPO15
Lead-removing cloth, cut into patch-sized squares, rub manually on cylinder face or Mother's Mag polish. Some folks say to leave the fouling on until it interferes with function, but I'm a little OC about my shiny guns.

I'll try that. Like you, I am a cleaning freak and this bothers me to no end.

25-5 06-12-2013 05:34 PM

There is a thread running titled 629. Many options discussed. I use the Birchwood Casey lead cloth too, but the 629 thread is interesting.

CPO15 06-12-2013 05:34 PM

Just to give you the full story; some folks will argue ( w/ documentation) that the lead removal will also remove the cylinder material. It may do so, but not enough to matter in my lifetime.

zebramochaman 06-13-2013 02:28 AM

I use Lead Free cloths from Kleenbore on my stainless revolvers. You are not supposed to use it on blued finishes.

ninjatoth 06-13-2013 11:45 PM

I use chrome cleaner, it will all come off in about 10 seconds, I imagine any automotive cleaner designed to remove brake dust or clean wheels will have the same effect, but after I use it I clean the cylinder face with my normal methods to make sure there is no chrome cleaner residue.

danolator 06-14-2013 01:59 PM

I cut a scotch pad into squares, dip a square into Hoppes, and scrub it off. Doesn't come off in 10 seconds, but it works. It helps to wet it down with Hoppes and soak for a couple hours. I cut the Scotch pads into about six squares (one square per cleaning). There is a YouTube vid on this somewhere.

Fisherking 06-14-2013 07:54 PM

I dont know if u have acsess to a ultra sonic cleaner . But I would remove the crane screw just above the trigger slide the yoke out and place the cylinder in th ultrasonic cleaner. I did this for two cycles of 30 min and it took carbon off that scrubbing with a brass brush didnt take off ...
F.k.

levelcross 06-16-2013 02:13 AM

Kano Kroil works wonders on my SP 101, she was loaned out to a good friend and he tried and tried to get her clean again with no success. Another friend recommended Kroil and it took a little soaking time but she was spotless the next day. :D