Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Which revolver to choose?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1540 Times on 941 Posts
Likes Given: 7834

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I have a Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel. I have really enjoyed it for plinking. I use the less expensive .38 special ammo for plinking. I picked mine up for $400, slightly shopworn from sitting on display. The big squishy hogue grips are great for comfort, but the older style grips with the wood insets look MUCH better. All of my shooting buddies enjoy shooting it.

I have not experienced any malfunctions with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
If you see a nice used dan wesson 15-2 revolver get it over the others. Barrel swaps can be done in only a couple minutes too. Price run around 400 to 450 for a real nice revolover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborden1122 View Post
All three are great revolvers. If there is a chance to shoot all three at a range then you can see what you like the best. If not, at least hold them all and see what feels better to you then do some more research and use your best judgement. Good luck and enjoy!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
I say go big, sturdy and cheap with the GP 100. I don't trust the new Smiths and they are expensive.
My uncle ows a Dan Wesson 15.2 VHR, and my dad and I share ownership of a Ruger GP100. I have shot both over the years, (both have been in the family for over 25 years) and I would recomend either one. The GP100 is a sturdy, well built revoler, that has never had an issue in the time that my father has owned it (bought new in 1987), and we both have put more rounds through it than we can count. It has a 6 in. barrel, and is a nice plinker when used with .38 specials.

My uncle's ex-wife bought the Dan Wesson back in 1977, when he was stationed at Luke AFB in CO. Two of my favorite features of that revolver are the interchangeable barrels and shouds, and a single screw interchangable grip. You can choose any length from 2 1\2 to 13 inches for the barrel and shroud. His is vert accurate with it's 6 in. barrel in place.

Either way you go, you will wind up with a good revoler IMHO. As was suggested in an earlier post, If you can handle or fire any of the options, go for it. It will help you narrow down the choices.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #12

Liked 213 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 15

And those dan wessons for there mid frame size are some very strong revolvers. Much closer to a s&w model 27 for ability to digest realy hot loads with out issues of some s&w. or the weight of the rugers. And a great trigger . Just have to find one near can be the issue.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't own a GP or 686, but I do have an SP and Several Security Sixes. I like the Sixes and SPs because of their smaller frame. Nothing against the 686 and GP, just personal preference for the more portable.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #14

Liked 280 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRound
I don't own a GP or 686, but I do have an SP and Several Security Sixes. I like the Sixes and SPs because of their smaller frame. Nothing against the 686 and GP, just personal preference for the more portable.
I give you that the Gp100 is not a conseal carry firearm. But I bought it for a range gun and bought a holster so I could carry it if I wanted to. Me and my wife bought her father an sp101 for a carry gun and he liked it but he bought an Lc9. I carry a Glock 17 at the moment because I dont mind carrying a full size firearm. And the Glock weights no where near as much as the revolver. Im looking at a 1911 for my everyday carry weapon. I bought my wife a S&W 638 for a carry gun and I love the trigger but such a small frame isnt for me.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:41 AM   #15

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
But I bought it for a range gun and bought a holster so I could carry it if I wanted to
I plan on getting a GP for a range gun. My brother-in-law has one and its a fine shooter. They just don't surface much around here and I don't have enough cash for a new one.
My father-in-law has a Dan Wesson 357 and they are also well built and accurate. Comparable in strength to the GP

Old 11-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #16

Liked 280 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It defenitly is a great shooter. Its a great firearm, you should look into a used one..