Revolver calibers? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Revolver calibers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Wow, I can't recall a topic where virtually everyone agrees. I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say the .357 magnum revolver is the gold standard for self defense revolvers. In addition to being able to shoot .38 special ammo for practice, they come in a wide assortment of platforms and ammo. You can choose a 5, 6, 7, or 8 shot platforms, in a range of barrel lengths most commonly from 2" to 6".

For the first half of my police career I carried a 6 shot, 4 inch S&W model 19, until we were authorized to carry auto loaders on duty. I also own a 7 shooter that I carry when in the mood for a wheel gun.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 01-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #22

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

OK I have to ask seeing as someone said it.

What would the legality be in carrying a firearm like a 500 smith mag as a CCW piece. I am thinking your going to prison is you shoot someone with a 50 cal. pistol. Just for the fact that in the world of personal defense that firearm is not what any pro would ever recommend as a CCW.

Ben you must be a big ole fellow to CCW a 500 smith. I have shot a 4" barrel one and it is no dam joke. How many rounds can you put in a pie plate at 7 years with a rapid fire double action trigger pull? I am guessing NONE. Duel brandishing of 1911's with ankle ammo holsters and now I USED TO carry a 500 smith before my duel 1911's.

Was this on Xbox 360 or PS3?

I call BS on your entire statement.

Last edited by cpttango30; 01-05-2011 at 12:42 AM.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #23

Liked 270 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoin2899 View Post
2 1/2 Barrel, (half the energy goes out the cylinder during discharge) a six inch .38 revolver is a very effective defense weapon when loaded with + P ammo - also comfortable to shoot.

The energy loss in a revolver is minimal, regardless of barrel length. Cartridges especially made for snub revolvers, loaded with fast burning powders, still develop very close to stated velocities, even when fired in guns with the barrel removed, that is, fired direct from the cylinder.

I chronographed some of my handloads years ago, and surprisingly found some loads developed higher velocities in shorter barrels compared to the longer barrel.

Bottom line; don't believe all you read, test it yourself.

Bob Wright

Old 01-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #24

Liked 270 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
if you can find one for the right price the colt python is the absolute best .357 magnum revolver ever made. ive got one and its the only revolver i have ever had that has stayed in my collection. im not a fan of revolvers but the python transcends the type. in my book its right up there with the finest 1911's.

anyway if you go revolver and are considering the 38spl, get one chambered for 357. you get a stronger frame you can shoot 38spl and 357 mag if you care too. buying a revolver chambered for 38spl only makes absolutely no sense to me.
I will disagree with you concerning the Colt Python being the best .357 Magnum revolver made. My vote goes to the Smith & Wesson Distinguished Combat Magnum, the Model 586. I had a Python, a good gun and certainly a masterpiece of workmanship. But for ruggedness, the Smith beats it all hollow. The case-hardened action wears for years longer than the Colt's, I had to replace the trigger on the Python at about 5,000 rounds. Also, its shorter cylinder wouldn't take my heavy bullet loads, leaving the bullet noses projecting from the front of the cylinder.

And, no Colt ever made had the smooth DA let-off of a Smith, in my opinion. And I was always partial to Colts as a Colt was my very first real revolver.

Bob Wright