Revolver $1000 Budget?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Revolver $1000 Budget?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Revolver $1000 Budget?

Hi everyone, I'm new to all this and I'm about to purchase my very first gun and have decided to start with a revolver. I have limited shooting experience but have fired both autos and revolvers and I do have a preference towards revolvers, to me they just feel like a real gun. I'm looking for a good all round gun, fun on the range, doesn't take years to master, easy to use and will stop any unwelcome guests without having to reload. Seeing as this will be my very first gun, it must be "Made In USA" and once again my preference is towards Smith & Wesson, I look forward to all your advice, thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #2

I'd probably buy a S&W 686 Plus 7 shot .357 revolver with a 4 inch barrel. With all the money you save, you could purchase a nice holster and maybe some custom wood grips. With a budget of $1,000 for a S&W revolver, you should end up with a very nice gun that should meet all the needs you listed. Good Luck, make sure to tell us what you got.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 208 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 12

For me, the universal "everybody needs at least one" revolver is a 4 inch
357 with adjustable sights. My current one is a S&W model 19.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #4

What's a R-E-V-O-L-V-E-R-? No I am kidding. I would think for a grand you may be able to touch some of the stuff out of the S&W Custom Shop. Don't know what caliber you're leaning toward but .357 would be high on my list. If I had $1000 to spend though, I would hunt down a model 25 in .45 LC. I love that caliber and have a Ruger Bisley (converted Black Hawk). I would love a double action in .45 LC but can't afford one.
Good luck.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 05-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #5

I agree I would look at s&w custom gun shop revolvers like one similar to the one Jerry Miculek uses really sweet custom guns performance center for s&w

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsyboyusa View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to all this and I'm about to purchase my very first gun and have decided to start with a revolver. I have limited shooting experience but have fired both autos and revolvers and I do have a preference towards revolvers, to me they just feel like a real gun. I'm looking for a good all round gun, fun on the range, doesn't take years to master, easy to use and will stop any unwelcome guests without having to reload. Seeing as this will be my very first gun, it must be "Made In USA" and once again my preference is towards Smith & Wesson, I look forward to all your advice, thanks.
I've made my mind up and I'm going to go for the S&W 357 686 4" and once I'm comfortable with it. I will replace the rubber grip with some nice wood, purely for esthetic reasons, I can't wait. Anyone got one for sale LOL!

Old 05-17-2008, 03:01 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Good choice. You now have a quality gun and some money to buy ammo with. Don`t be afraid to buy cheap .38 Sp. ammo for practice. The more you shoot it the better you`ll get. I load all of my own ammo and made a guy look real silly when he came out to my house with a real nice model 27 S&W and some Federal Premium .357 ammo. He said he was willing to pay more for more accurate ammo. When I told him I would shoot the cheapest stuff I could get because it was more accurate than his he looked at me real funny. He was a new shooter and we were shooting at abt. 75 yrds. at cans. He was holding abt. a 6 ft. group. I ask if I could shoot some of my ammo thriugh his gun and my group was less than 1 ft. He tried it and his groups dropped to abt. 3 ft. which isn`t bad at that range for a beginer. So burn up alot of ammo.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 05-17-2008, 03:24 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default S&W PC Center

With a $1000 budget, and a leaning towards S&W, look no further than the Performance Center. A 586-L Comp or the N frame 627. That's 7 or 8 rounds of magnum bliss. The 586-L Comp would be a great medium frame carry revolver, and I would guess that the 627 would be a easy shooter.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I would choose a S&W 686 3". Just my personal opinion with your specified criteria. Use the extra money in your budget to get a nice holster and some ammo. Or if you want some "useless flash" you could get a Crimson Trace Lasergrip for the 686. Some of the other suggestions obviously didn't follow your $1000 budget, especially with TAX and dealer handling fees.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 05-20-2008 at 12:07 PM.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:00 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
I would choose a S&W 686 3". Just my personal opinion with your specified criteria. Use the extra money in your budget to get a nice holster and some ammo. Or if you want some "useless flash" you could get a Crimson Trace Lasergrip for the 686. Some of the other suggestions obviously didn't follow your $1000 budget, especially with TAX and dealer handling fees.
Gunbroker has a PC 627 listed at $800, several others at $900. Ditto the 586-L. No tax, just shipping and a transfer fee. That puts you under $1,000.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.