Request for Advice

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Request for Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Request for Advice

This is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but bear in mind that what little handgun marksmanship training I ever had was over 40 years ago, it was with a Model 1911 Colt, and we were taught to stand perpendicular to the the target, grip the pistol with the right hand, only, and sight with the right eye.

Here's my question. I have determined that I am "left-eyed", even though I'm right-handed. What would be the best grip and stance for me to use, should I sight with my left eye, or should I attempt to keep both eyes open?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Probably the best thing is to try several different grips and stances and then determine what is best for you. You may have to "Hybrid-ize" to get something to work for you.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 01-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I am right handed, left eye dominant.

I regularly shoot IDPA.(And regulary kick ass). I use a modified weaver stance.

Left foot slightly forward, feet approx shoulder width apart. Knee slightly bent, torso slightly leaning forward.

Right hand is the strong hand, left hand supports. Elbows slightly bent.

Bring gun up to head level, tuck chin into neck.

I have also used the push pull method for years, while punching paper. Strong hand pushes, supprot hand pulls, and support index finger on front of trigger guard.

I have been working hard for a few months to break myself of that grip.

If all of this makes sense, your ok. If not, youtube some idpa matches, or ipsc matches. Do a google search of "idpa master". And watch then shoot. They do it right, and they win with it. Try to mimick what they are doing. Grip, stance, everything.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
I am right handed, left eye dominant.

I regularly shoot IDPA.(And regulary kick ass). I use a modified weaver stance.

Left foot slightly forward, feet approx shoulder width apart. Knee slightly bent, torso slightly leaning forward.

Right hand is the strong hand, left hand supports. Elbows slightly bent.

Bring gun up to head level, tuck chin into neck.

I have also used the push pull method for years, while punching paper. Strong hand pushes, supprot hand pulls, and support index finger on front of trigger guard.

I have been working hard for a few months to break myself of that grip.

If all of this makes sense, your ok. If not, youtube some idpa matches, or ipsc matches. Do a google search of "idpa master". And watch then shoot. They do it right, and they win with it. Try to mimick what they are doing. Grip, stance, everything.
Yeah, it does make sense. And something else I read was advice to keep both eyes open and focus on the front sight. Thanks for your help. Now if we could just catch some decent weather ...

Old 12-31-2010, 04:27 AM   #5

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default I need marksmanship help!

Ok,I am 30 years old,been shooting rifles for more than half my life and can easily out-shoot anyone I know with a rifle,scoped or open sights.But 2 years ago I bought my first handgun,a revolver,had several revolvers,sold them and now have an auto 9mm and I am not very good with it at all,especially two handed.Here is where I am at-I can place all my rounds on an 8.5"X11" piece of paper at 7 yards with two hands,but not very tight groups at all no matter the grip or stance changes I have tried with two hands.Now with one hand-like the old WW2 training videos or even front on,I keep 3" groups right in the middle of the bullseye.Why is this?I can't figure it out.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 12-31-2010, 04:54 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5912 Times on 3085 Posts
Likes Given: 415

trigger control. it takes a lot of effort to get a da pistol to shoot well. the triggers arent very good in general.

thats one reason why i pack a 1911 when i can.

lots of dry fire

put snap caps in with live rounds to detect flinch.

concentrate on the front sight.

pretend your shooting a revolver in sa mode.

slow deliberate trigger squeeze gun going off should be a surprise.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-31-2010, 05:09 AM   #7

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

So use your good eye. Just tilt your head a little. You may have to modify your stance to make it comfortable. That is if the stance works for you to begin with.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you're talking about shooting competition, a more ridged stance may be what you would want. For self defense type shooting, I would try to learn both of the "accepted" stances (Weaver & isosceles) and adapt your own stance that works best for you. Bear in mind that in a self defense situation, you may not, nor should you be, standing up. If you get too hung up on "proper" stance, you may have trouble shooting prone, or supine from behind cover. May I recommend professional training for self defense. There are many good (and a few not-so-good) schools out there.

As for right handed, left eye dominate, a simple method is to slightly tilt you head to align your dominate eye with the sights.

Your previous experience sounds like military, and I was once (mid 60's) a military range master. We have evolved from those days and try to train for the real world.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 01-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurryin' Hoosier View Post
Yeah, it does make sense. And something else I read was advice to keep both eyes open and focus on the front sight. Thanks for your help. Now if we could just catch some decent weather ...
Shooting with both eyes open is usually a tuff thing to get used to especially when one is right handed with a left eye dominent.

But there is a little trick that you can use that may help, having been a life long handgunner and used to aiming with one eye closed, when I joined the police dept. our combat instructor insisted that we learn to shoot with both eyes open.
After repeated range efforts I found it near impossible to keep from closing my left eye, this made weak hand shooting with any real accuracy a problem, especially from behind a barrackade.
I told our instructor that I was having a devel of a time trying to keep the sights clear with both eyes open, most of the time I saw two front sights, and trying to tell which one was the real sight was almost impossible.
He suggested that I cover the left lense of my shooting glasses with a black piece of paper like construction or poster paper and shoot that way with both eyes open for a couple of weeks, at least a half dozen times total, then take the paper off and try again.

Believe it or not, it worked great, for years now I've been shooting with both eyes open with no problem at all.
After becoming an instructor myself both as a police and civilian combat instructor I've helped a lot of my students learn to shoot with both eyes open using that method, and quite a few with the same problem that you are having.

If you can't get that much range time in, hang a target of some kind up in your home or basement and practice aiming while dry firing (if your gun is capable of dry fire without damaging the firing pin), but double check to make sure that your gun is unloaded, you might want to get some plastic dummy rounds to drop the hammer on if you chose to go that route, usually they are colored so that they can't be mistaken for the real thing.

Good luck

Old 01-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

What Moe said.

My Dad was left handed. Though I'm right handed & right eye dominent, watching him I shoot rifles & shotguns left handed, I shot his way. I did this through 3 years of military & only changed to right hand at age of 20 after discharge from the Army. It's amazing how adaptable the human body is. I didn't shoot beter right handed even though right eye dominent.

I've always fired a sixgun right handed but note I still shoot a bow left handed using my left eye, the same with a pool stick. Still have plenty of Dad in me though I'm 60. HEE HEE

If you cannot learn to shoot with your right eye, learn to shoot with both eyes open using Moe's method. It will work............Creeker

Joshua 1:9