Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Removing cylinder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Removing cylinder?

How do I remove the cylinder from my little Smith & Wesson j frame model 637-2. I want to access stuff easier for cleaning.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #2

#1..open the cyl and make sure it is empty.

On the right side of the revolver, forward of the trigger, is a screw.

Carefully remove it with a proper fitting screw driver...pull the cylinder forward and the cyl and crane will come off the frame. The crane will pull forward off the ejector rod and seperate from the cyl itself. DO NOT disassemble and further.

Clean the cly and crane..add 1 drop of oil onto the crane outside diameter and slide the cyl back onto it. Place the cyl and crane back into the frame and close the cyl. Replace the screw into the right side of the frame.
Tighten snugly bot not too tight...no need to gorilla it.

Open the cyl and close to veryfy function.

You are good to go.

Clean the inside of the cyl and barrel with a poly or brass brush. NEVER a stainless brush unless there is lead to remove.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:47 AM   #3

Excellent! Thanks for the fast reply. Seems like an easy enough job.