Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Reliable / Inexpensive .22 revolver? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/reliable-inexpensive-22-revolver-68386/)

hjtravelers 07-17-2012 02:54 PM

Reliable / Inexpensive .22 revolver?

Is there such a thing? Once in a blue moon I have the need for one shot up close and personal with a garden raiding groundhog. I don't want to spend a lot on something I'll seldom use. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Hal

mountainman13 07-17-2012 02:58 PM

There really shouldn't be any such thing as a unreliable revolver. In my experience with .22 wheel guns they always go bang unless the cartridge is junk. Now accuracy is a different story. I would avoid a snubby if you plan to hit anything.

sputnik1988 07-17-2012 03:01 PM

A bolt action 22 rifle would be cheaper than a wheel gun.

jjfuller1 07-17-2012 03:04 PM

check local gun stores. you should be able to find a used .22 revolver for 100 to 200 bucks. now depending on your state laws. you may not be able to walk right in and get a pistol. a lot of states require some sort of pistol licenseing process or permit. so my advice to you is just get a cheap .22 rifle. those can also be had for 100 to 200 for new and used models and will be far more accurate than a .22 pistol.

Overkill0084 07-17-2012 03:34 PM

A used Ruger Single Six would be my first choice.
I have kicked around the idea of getting an EAA Bounty Hunter. Inexpensive, but what information I've found seems positive.
The rifle suggestion is right on though. You can get them everywhere, and they are cheap. You gain added accuracy and a bit of performance as well.

KeysKelly 07-17-2012 03:35 PM

I'm probably going to open a big can of worms here because most people seem to either LOVE or HATE a Taurus but I am a Taurus lover. I have a S&W 9 round .22 revolver with a 4" barrel in stainless that I paid close to $700 for and my daughter's boyfriend has the same stainless 4" barrel 9 round Taurus .22 revolver that he paid just under $300 for and it is every bit as reliable and accurate as my S&W. I also have a Taurus Millennium .45 that a friend lent me about a year ago and seems to have forgot I have it. I love that gun as well.

Big fan of Taurus here.

hiwall 07-17-2012 04:00 PM

For about $100 you can buy a Cricket rifle that hardy weighs more than a revolver and is more accurate. Or save up and buy a used Ruger Single Six.

Gonzilla 07-17-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 872721)
There really shouldn't be any such thing as a unreliable revolver. In my experience with .22 wheel guns they always go bang unless the cartridge is junk. Now accuracy is a different story. I would avoid a snubby if you plan to hit anything.

Snubbies are not inaccurate ! They do have a short sight radius and in .38 cal & up, can be a handful.

A guy on this site gave a great tip about shooting varmints w/o property damage. He keeps a 9 shot revolver filled w 22 shorts in the corn crib and it dispatches them humanely w/o excessive damage.

Snubbies are the ultimate trainers because you must concentrate on the fundamentals. Revolvers have an advantage over autos in that they can shoot shorts, longs, long rifle or shot shells.

IMHO - still hard to beat Ruger auto. NIB as low as $269 in my area. Why - High Stds revolvers are hard to find, SW is over priced but still top dog, and Taurus is a crap shoot. (they do have a sweet new 22 LR/22 Mag model though)

primer1 07-17-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13

I outshot everyone in my ccw class with my sw 38 snubbie, a dozen people or so. At the beginning of the class, the instructor recommended to borrow a different gun, because "I would have a hard time qualifying with it". :D

mountainman13 07-17-2012 05:43 PM

Impressive man. I have a hard time with mine. I shoot it better than anyone else that has tried it but still not well enough to qualify or be happy with.