Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Reblued Colt Python value

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Reblued Colt Python value

Hey all,

I'm currently in the market for a 6" Blued Colt Python, pre-elite era.
I was about to have a deal with someone when the seller realized after showing the gun to a gunsmith that it had been refinished (looks 99%). The seller is not the first owner, doesn't have the box or papers, doesn't know when the gun was manufactured yet (he emailed Colt). The grips with the gold medallion look to be in pristine condition. What do you think would be a fair price based on my description? I know it's missing a few crucial details like who refinished it and when was the gun built. Let's assume it's a 1980 production and give me a price estimate based on if it was refinished by Colt or not.

Thanks!

PS: does Colt keep track of serial numbers of guns that come in for refinishing etc?

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 11-12-2012 at 12:21 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

go on a colt fourm and you can find the date it was made as for the value i have seen used ones in 70-75% going for $700-$800 range. being reblued it loses it's collector value but if it is in good working order someone is always looking for a good shooter. i would think that yours would go for around that same price if not more. now if it was redone by colt then it would be in the $900-$1100 range. you can look on gun broker and get an ideal of what other people are asking. one thing about the python is they are always going up in price..

Old 11-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Who reblued it? A reblued gun wont fetch the same price as an original in similar condition but value depends on whether it was reblued by Colt or a gun smith. No one can match Colts blue.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #4

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonbait View Post
go on a colt fourm and you can find the date it was made as for the value i have seen used ones in 70-75% going for $700-$800 range. being reblued it loses it's collector value but if it is in good working order someone is always looking for a good shooter. i would think that yours would go for around that same price if not more. now if it was redone by colt then it would be in the $900-$1100 range. you can look on gun broker and get an ideal of what other people are asking. one thing about the python is they are always going up in price..
Well, i'd dearly love to find a Python in 99% reblued by Colt for $1100
Yes, check GB BUT pay little attention to ASKING prices--Check completed auctions & auctions being bid on

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #5

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Well, i'd dearly love to find a Python in 99% reblued by Colt for $1100
Yes, check GB BUT pay little attention to ASKING prices--Check completed auctions & auctions being bid on
Yeah I've already been checking GB for a few days now. Haven't seen a single one advertised as reblued though hence why I'm asking here.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 11-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #6

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I just seen a python 99 percent original blue six inch in the local nickle paper here for 1,350. The advice above to go to the colt forum is your very best advice. The prices in different areas of the usa very a lot. With the colts going up realy fast unless your a collector and stay on top of it daily like they do in the colt forum it is hard to price one.
I like colts and smith and wessons and decided to start collecting one or the other. I chose smith and wesson because I got my first one at age 18.
I figured i would aquire all the smith and wessons i wanted and start picking up colts. I am no where near getting all the smith and wessons I want and probaly never will. Then colts soared to out ragous prices so unless I stumble onto some out ragous rare deal on one. I will have to stick to the one little cobra I own.
I am old enough to remember them priced with smith and wessons and also old enough to regret not buying them then.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #7

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

If a Python was reblued by Colt and the rollmarks redone, 99% of the population will never be able to tell. I've had several done like that. And the way people are buying them now, nobody will even pause to ask. A reblue by Colt won't hurt the value at all. You won't have any trouble finding a buyer.

But if Colt didn't do the bluing, hard to say what the value would be without seeing it. Be interested to know how someone picked up on it reblued. Colt does not do anything to the gun to show they've reblued it and I doubt they keep records on reblue jobs either. There is a 6-month wait for that job.