reading s&w serial numbers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > reading s&w serial numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 05:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default reading s&w serial numbers

sometime back on a now not to be found website [at least i can't find it again] i found an explanation as to how to decode the serial number on one's revolver to identify the model number, barrel length, year of manufacture, etc. i have repeatedly tried to find that website again and of course now i can't. anyone know where i can get that info?

i actually know the model number and barrel length so that part was easy....but i'd like to decode the rest of the serial number.

movie zombie

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2008, 06:40 PM   #2

just got off the phone with s&w: my model 63 is late 1970's, they are w/o power and cant look up the exact date right now. also, even though my model 63 has a 4 inch barrel, the 463 in the serial number aren't there to indicate that. i now think the website where i read that the serial number could be decoded for info was spouting hot air......

movie zombie

Old 01-26-2008, 04:34 AM   #3

I got a book about S&W's at a gun show (I also got some awesome beef jerky too) and it has a serial number glossary. My #63 was made in 1980, so was my #60. Great hardcover book and I only paid $20 for it, but it ends at 1999.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 01-27-2008, 06:44 AM   #4

zappa, congrats on finding the birthdate of your model 60 and 63! we share the same taste in revolvers.

movie zombie

ps i need to call them back and get the exact year for the 63 and i might as well give them the sn for my 60 as well.