Questions Regarding Taurus Revolvers (Concealed Carry Models) - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Questions Regarding Taurus Revolvers (Concealed Carry Models)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i got my taurus 605 over 10 years ago...like most carry revolvers, it's been carried lots more than it's been fired...

i'm pleased with this gun, its stainless construction resists corrosion, the trigger in both single and double-action are decent and it shoots where it points. a bonus i haven't needed to use is taurus's lifetime repair policy

i practice with cast 125 gr bullets loaded as .38 +p's. i use hornady 110gr .38s with the flex-tip bullet as carry ammo...i've shot .357's in this, but prefer the .38s.

budman

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...

Old 11-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #32

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't know about .357's but I've had a couple of 38 snubbies that I liked. One of them was a Taurus 85 with a bobbed hammer (85CH?). It seemed to be a well made little gun although I didn't shoot it a lot before trading it off for something else, when I got bit by the semi-auto bug.

Later when my good sense returned, I realized I "needed" another one, so I went looking and found an old Charter Arms Undercover 38 made in the 70's. With the standard skinny wood grips that thing would kick the snot out of me, and leave my knuckles bloodied. I switched the grips over to a set of rubber ones for the new Charter Arms revolvers and it is night and day. The CA is my everyday carry gun
now.

I don't know if I'd be brave enough for one is .357 though.

John 3:16 (NKJV)

Old 11-25-2010, 12:26 AM   #33
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2574 Times on 1403 Posts
Likes Given: 739

I have a 2 1/8" DAO Ruger SP101 in 357. It weighs about 25 oz and has the LG111 CT grips. I had the trigger worked over. I use the Winchester personal defense 110 gr semi jacket HP. Measured MV was 1170fps avg. This is hotter than the +P 38S but very controllable. The 125 gr Hydro went 1270fps and the 158 gr Hydro went 1240fps. They have a lot more recoil and the 158s are pretty rough. I would not want to shoot the 158s in anything lighter or very many at one session. I usually load the 38s when my wife shoots it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #34

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

cajun,

i had a charter undercover .38 and then a stainless .44 bulldog...both fine guns; both very light for caliber without going exotic. as i remember, about 19 oz for the .44; these days others tout this is as state of the art with scandium or polymer, but charter did it 30 years ago with a steel receiver.

i should've kept them.

budman46

Old 11-26-2010, 02:14 AM   #35

Srgnt,
I had this very same piece. And no Taurus isn't a Smith nor a Ruger, but however, I haven't had the first problem with mine except when I first got it. I bought it from a local pawn shop that the owner and I are pretty good friends. He had taken this one in on a shotgun. The revolver came from a man who he and I both know very well. He was the original owner and had never fired his NIB wheel gun. I got extremely lucky on this deal because one of the helpers at the store actually dropped a 12g pump on the case gun case containing the 357. After this incident the cylinder would no longer open. I wound up bringing it home for $175. What a steal! After doing everything in my power, only being an ameture, I took it to another friend who runs a gunsmithing operation. In about 2 minutes he had it open and totally apart. He found just what I thought he would find. The pin on the back side of the extractor rod that holds the cylinder in position was actually sheared almost into. I figured bent, but it was worse. A little bit worried at this point I watched as he lathed up a completely new one and reassymbled the weapon. I then had him to double check the syncronizing. Right on. $5 and I had it fully functional. I actually carried that revolver for about three months. A few problems accurred, but mostly just my opinions. The screws started to rust pretty quickly, but now I know to use a drop of clear finger nail pollish to cure that issue. It took a little more searching for the right holster for me to be able to carry a wheeler comfortably and still conceal it. They are a little bit bulky for my body size and the style clothes I wear. Over pennetration was a really big scare to me because I know what it did to a stack of phone books at 21yds. 38s aren't too too bad, but you put 158 grains of 357 in that puppy, and even with jacketed hollow points, it'll rip through like you wouldn't imagine. Thus bringing me to the fact that yes my lil snubby was seriously accurate, you couldn't hardly hang on to it. Again, the lighter loads were okay, but it's extremely hard to hang on to them mags. Maybe you're a lot more of a buff kind of guy than I am, but I feel like it was simply too much. Plus my wife never would have been able to use it in case of absolute emergency. We have children in the house and extreme over penetration is a factor that I try really hard to avoid. Now I am definately not trying to talk you out of this gun nor am I trying to speak badly about Taurus. I am actually looking at going after the turn of the year to get me another Taurus revovler for CCW. Only this time, I want the 9mm. Why well I like the 9 in semi autos, it's the cheapest major caliber to take to the range, and not everyone else in the world carries a Luger revolver. Just kind of what I like. But all in all if you aren't planning on shooting it all the time, then I think it's fine. Oh, there is one other down fall to the DAO. It's harder to get pin point sharp with it like you can with a SA. But once you learn your weapon, you can have a pretty good feel for when it goes BANG. Good luck to you.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #36

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

pumpkinball,

your repair method cost less than postage testing taurus' guarantee policy.

i fired some stout .357s intended for an l-frame s&w once just to see what i'd been missing, but have always carried my stainless 605 with 125 gr +p .38s. i recently bought federal 110 gr. flex-tip .38's for it...i liked the reviews.

my normal carry choice is a galco iwb holster, but when i discovered cargo pants, i found a pocket holster works well when so dressed.

i practice d/a at 5 or 6 yds and it's really not an issue i worry about...i figure if i have the time to go s/a, it'll be judged as murder, not self-defense.

budman

Old 12-20-2010, 04:19 AM   #37

I own a Rossi 46102. I love the little fella, but man! is he ever loud when shooting 158 gr. Federal Premium SD rounds. The recoil was light, but I attribute that to the weight of the gun (26.5oz). I bought some Speer Gold Dot .38 spl. +P 115 gr. TJP rds. which should be a little quieter, we'll see...

MSgt. USAF(Ret.) NRA - Life Mbr., NCOA - Life Mbr., NAHC - Life Mbr., OathKeepers - Founding Mbr., Amer. Legion - Mbr., VFW - Mbr., DVA - Mbr., VVA - Mbr.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #38

Default 3" 357

I own a smith 3" 357 ,curved handle originally fbi and secret service has low recoil and conceals very well. it is a model 13

Last edited by BIGAL; 01-27-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: incomplete

Old 02-01-2011, 02:28 AM   #39

I have a Rossi M877, stainless, 6 shot, .357, 2", 26 oz. I FREAKING LOVE IT! Technically it's my wife's gun, but it's always on my hip when we're out and about.

I carry it fed with either 110 or 125 grain magnum rounds. It's hard shooting and loud barking, but with a little practice it's more than manageable. Having said that, I still remember that first shot of Federal 125 grain; I thought I broke my thumb! I quickly learned to hold it just a little differently.

When my wife has it, it's loaded with 125 grain, .38 +P.

Either way, I feel confident we can take care of ourselves if the need ever arises.

IMHO, getting a gun that can chamber the .357 is the way to go; don't settle for just a .38.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #40

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman46 View Post
cajun,

i had a charter undercover .38 and then a stainless .44 bulldog...both fine guns; both very light for caliber without going exotic. as i remember, about 19 oz for the .44; these days others tout this is as state of the art with scandium or polymer, but charter did it 30 years ago with a steel receiver.

i should've kept them.

budman46

Budman,
I was looking at the CA Bulldog .44 Special. So, you found it controllable to shoot even with the light weight? I haven't talked to anyone with first-hand knowledge of this gun. I have a Taurus 441 in .44 Special which is much heavier, and so is no problem to shoot.