Questions Regarding Taurus Revolvers (Concealed Carry Models)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Questions Regarding Taurus Revolvers (Concealed Carry Models)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Questions Regarding Taurus Revolvers (Concealed Carry Models)

I'm really leaning towards something in the .357 magnum range for concealed carry. I am leaning more towards the revolvers lately because of the simple "point and click" interface (i.e. no safeties, slides, magazines, etc...).

Due to the high prices of revolvers lately, I have thought about purchasing something in the Taurus lineup (like a model 650 revolver).

What kind of performance can I expect out of a small barreled .357 magnum? How is the muzzle velocities? Will hollow-points expand reliably with such a short barrel? What kind of max effective distances can I expect with this kind of revolver? Does anybody have any good experience with wad-cutter loadings (I've heard they are an under rated defense round, and are gaining popularity)?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Not sure of the Taurus, but I got to fire a short barrel S&W (656 I believe) last week in .357 (7 shot). Can't say the actual loads, but they were sd with a poly-tip much like my .50 cal muzzleloader 'Shock Wave' bullet.

I was impressed with the accuracy and the handle of recoil for a second shot.

It was a carry gun of a friend of a friend. It made me want one. Taurus should be less $ than the S&W.

If you get your hands on one, let us know what you think. I would like to get a .357 short for carry, but I really don't want to drop S&W cash.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-13-2009, 04:43 AM   #3

Short barreled revolvers are belly guns. They are for close range work. Short barreled revolvers are a great gun for the price but don't expect great accuracy at 30 yards.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #4

I totally agree. A snub is a close range defensive piece. I own a Taurus 605 blue 5-shot .357 and like it alot. It is accurate at close range, lightweight and easy to carry. 125 grain hollowpoints is all I load in it. Hope this helps you.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've got a snubnose fetish, I enjoy shooting them a lot. If the trigger pull is good, they are as accurate as the person shooting them. I had a S&W 640 (older .38 model) that I shot very often and managed very good groups at 15 meters, and quite decent ones at 25 meters.

I find the fixed sights on most snubbies very comfortable to use, but I know they bother some people.

Taurus are quite popular in my country, mainly because they cost a lot less than a S&W, they are used as trainer guns at my gun club and hold up well. I shoot a friend's 2" .357 Taurus often, and it works quite well. I've heard the ocasional horror story about this brand, but I think they've improved their quality a lot lately.

I don't know if Taurus makes a .357 with a 3" barrell, if they do I think that would be a better choice for concealed carry. The ejector rod will be long enough to eject .357 cases reliably, the extra inch makes it easier to shoot and not much harder to carry (unless you pocket carry).

There are some nice short barrel loads, like the Speer Gold Dot, that perform well out of 2" wheelguns.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:08 AM   #6

My carry weapon is a Taurus .38 special, and I've been happy with it. Not quite as concealable as a snubby, but I think that little extra bit of barrel gives me a bit more accuracy and a bit less kick.

Only problem I've had is that after a long day at the range the screw holding the grip together can get a bit loose. Just keep an eye on it, and carry a multi-tool.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:39 AM   #7

I carry a Taurus Snubbie .38sp. the 85 Ultralight model. I wasn't really sure about carrying a wheel gun but it carries excellent. It's a pretty well built gun, especially compared to the $300 (what I paid) semi-autos. Very natural shooting gun. My wife, who has issues with her hands due to health reasons, can shoot it well.

I was looking at the .357 chambered guns too. They are quite a bit heavier. My .38sp+p is less than a pound. The round delivers as much authority as a 9mm, so suitable for lightweight carry.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:30 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have a Ruger SP101. It barks and is not real pleasant to shoot with full-house .357s. Maybe I'm just a whimp but I've found it to shoot high with everything but 110 grain .357 loads. They're not common and not cheap. I wish the thing had adjustable sights so I could shoot what I want in it. As it is, I'd rather carry my 4" Security Six. Not much bigger but much more shooter friendly.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

ANY high-powered concealable revolver will have an un-pleasant snap to it. But what the hell, you're not target shooting 50 rounds, you're trying to stop a "situation". You'll never notice any un-pleasantness when you are in a hostile situation. Put maximum fire-power in that .357 Magnum of yours... your life may depend on it.

I can't imagine not having a .357 handy!

357magnum.jpg  

Last edited by Mark F; 04-15-2009 at 02:42 PM.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #10

i'm going to need a bib if i keep staring at that King Cobra. Very nice.

Here's my S&W M60. It's my primary ccw. Nothing is more reassuring than wheel gun reliability at your side. I've never had a problem with the recoil.

picture-059.jpg  

Last edited by KBlue; 04-19-2009 at 10:32 PM.