Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Questions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Questions?

Can someone please explain the difference between frames? I used to know but I got caught up in all the autoloader stuff and I haven't read or even taken a second glance at a revolver in 3 years. Now Im thinking about getting two. A snub and a 5inch, both in .357Mag. I was also wondering what everyone would recommend?
Im looking at the Ruger SP series specifically but I'd also like to hear opinions on Rossi because Rossi is about 100-200 dollars cheaper...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Can someone please explain the difference between frames? I used to know but I got caught up in all the autoloader stuff and I haven't read or even taken a second glance at a revolver in 3 years. Now Im thinking about getting two. A snub and a 5inch, both in .357Mag. I was also wondering what everyone would recommend?
Im looking at the Ruger SP series specifically but I'd also like to hear opinions on Rossi because Rossi is about 100-200 dollars cheaper...
Not sure what you mean by frames at all. S&W uses letter designations for their frame sizes as follows:

J - small frame, mostly snubbies
K/L - mid sized frame, like the 19 or 686
N - large frame, like the 629

The Ruger GP series guns are most similar to the S&W K/L frames, medium sized and very strong. Not sure about the frame size on the SP series.

As far as Rossi goes, all I can say is that you really get what you pay for generally. Rossi is basically a bargain Taurus and I'll leave it at that. As far as current DA revolvers go, S&W and Ruger are the only ones I'd consider...

Old 09-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

+1 What NGIB said.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #4

Well then the SP series is probably a J frame and Rugers GP series is a L frame.
I guess I'l go with the Ruger. Just need to rent one n try it out.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Well then the SP series is probably a J frame and Rugers GP series is a L frame.
I guess I'l go with the Ruger. Just need to rent one n try it out.
Always the best plan...

Old 09-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The SP101 is considerably heavier than a J frame, so recoil is lighter. The weight is a penalty if you're going to carry it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams