Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Question for the experts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 12:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question for the experts

In an earlier thread I had described my incident with my GP100 and the bullets that were lodged in the barrel. Remington paid the bill to have the gun fixed. I got the gun back, finally, this week. I sent the gun out in March. According to the paperwork they sent back with the gun, they replaced the barrel, repaired the cylinder, replaced the trigger spring guard spring, and replaced internal components. The paperwork also states the gun was safety function checked, proof tested and range fired tested. I thought there was supposed to be a fired shell casing sent back with the gun, but there was none. My question is the pic that I have attached show some kind of brown, gold color in the barrel all the way down. I cleaned the gun and brushed the barrel and found that some of this substance actually started to disappear. Does this look like a new barrel? Just curious. I don't think when I bought the gun new the barrel looked like this. As always I really appreciate everyone's help, opinions and advice.

img_2934-medium-.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-08-2009, 02:22 AM   #2

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

That is copper fouling from the jacketed bullets that the factory used for test firing. It will come out with normal cleaning. Nothing to worry about, it is normal. Usually, new barrels will foul more and quicker than barrels that have been broke-in or well use due to the slightly rough surface after machining. Glad to hear you got your gun back. Enjoy......................

Jim......................

Old 08-08-2009, 02:24 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't claim to be a expert but I'd say that looks like normal fouling. Very seldom do the factories actually clean the firearms/barrels after test firing/range testing. Since it's a new barrel, it hasn't been broken in yet and may have microscopic burrs in the rifling, causing fouling. Just clean it good and watch to see that bullet holes appear in the target after every shot. After you shoot it a lot, it'll get smoother both in the barrel & action wise as it gets broke in.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-08-2009, 02:25 AM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

MasterPsmith-we gotta quit doing that-you must type faster than me.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-08-2009, 05:23 AM   #5

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Sorry bout that, musta beat ya to the punch...

Jim..................

Old 08-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #6

Thanks again for the quick, and valuable info. I used a cleaner that I always use, but it does not seem to clean that fouling out. Is there any brand that you all recommend to get that fouling out?

Old 08-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I prefer Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber. Works Great With both copper and nitro fouling. Just be careful as it will "eat" a copper bore brush.

Article II: A Well Regulated Militia, Being Necessary To The Security Of A Free State, The Right Of The People To Keep And Bear Arms, Shall Not Be Infringed.

Article IV: The Right Of The People To Be Secure In There Persons, Houses, Papers, And Effects, Against Unreasonable Search And Seizures, Shall Not Be Violated, And No Warants Shall Issue, But Upon Probable Cause, Supported By Oath Or Affirmation, And Particulary Describing The Place To Be Searched, And The Persons Or Things To Be Seized.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #8

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Find a bore cleaner that specifies copper removal.

I agree with the others, run some ammo through her and get it broke in!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2605 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Shooter's Choice or Sweet's 762 will remove copper fouling. I always use the former. Break in a new hand gun with about 200 rounds of jacketed ammo before going to a lead bullet to reduce the amount of leading you experience. Shooter" Choice also disolves lead and plastic (shotgun wadding) fouling.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #10

Some guys don't like them, but I use a bore-snake, usually 2 or 3 times through the barrell and once each through the cylinders does it. Then clean the rest of the pistol normally and I use Rem-Oil afterwards, then wipe clean. Some of the other guys like masterPsmith and stalkingbear to name 2 are much more savvy than me, so thier advice should carry more weight.

"As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also"
Thomas Jefferson

"Freedom is only one generation from extinction"
Pres. Ronald Reagan
Member; NRA, GOA, and TSRA. ResistNet.com member

"When the ballot box no longer counts, the ammunition box does. Whats' in your ammo box?"