Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Question on Buying a used revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Question on Buying a used revolver

Almost all of my guns I have purchased were purchased "new" or gifted to me from family. My brother in-law is wanted to sell my dad a Ruger Blackhawk 45. This gun has only been shot once since since 1990 I believe he said.

Given that I am new to buying "used" guns I would like to shoot it or have a gunsmith look at it before it goes to my dad. I want to make sure the gun is functioning properly. Is this legitimate request or is there another process?

Thanks for the feedback.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #2

First off what does your dad think, after all he is the one paying for it and will own it. If he wants it looked at then go for it. From what I have been told, you can look over the gun. The area where the back of the bullet hits the frame. If there is a heavy ring from the casing hitting a lot then it has been shot some. Depending on the depth and clarity of the ring it might have been shot a lot. Also look at the top strap just above the from of the cylinder and the barrel. If there is a cut or poked look to that area then it has again been shot a lot. Over all finish in something to look at. Also is it loose in the cylinder. I goggled purchasing a used revolver and there was some info there. There is a processes that one can use to know the amount of use on a gun but I can not recall it right now, but I found it on Google. Understand I am no expert and this is just some stuff I have been told. Good luck.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's not unreasonable to ask to testfire a used gun. Go ahead and try it out if they'll let you. Having said that, it's damn hard to "screw up" a Ruger Blackhawk-and almost impossible to wear 1 out. Just check it out all over for abuse or excessive wear, shoot it, then you'll (your dad) will most likely buy it-especially if it's for a good price. Be aware to check whether it's a 3 screw model (old model) or a "new model". The old model functions exactly the same as a Colt whereas a new model features a transfer bar safety so that you may carry 6 rounds safely.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 12-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I'd most definitely test fire it, especially since it's from a fellow family member. If there are no signs of excessive wear on the exterior, then the mechanics should be in just as good shape. Just field strip it, look down the bore and check out the cylinder. Chances are the gun is just fine.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:09 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigguns911 View Post
First off what does your dad think, after all he is the one paying for it and will own it. If he wants it looked at then go for it. From what I have been told, you can look over the gun. The area where the back of the bullet hits the frame. If there is a heavy ring from the casing hitting a lot then it has been shot some. Depending on the depth and clarity of the ring it might have been shot a lot. Also look at the top strap just above the from of the cylinder and the barrel. If there is a cut or poked look to that area then it has again been shot a lot. Over all finish in something to look at. Also is it loose in the cylinder. I goggled purchasing a used revolver and there was some info there. There is a processes that one can use to know the amount of use on a gun but I can not recall it right now, but I found it on Google. Understand I am no expert and this is just some stuff I have been told. Good luck.
My dad likes the gun (I have been helping him with the purchase since he is older). As a son who cares about is father I want to make sure everything is in working order. I don't mess around with guns, because if you have a bad one it may be your last one.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:06 AM   #6

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike View Post
Almost all of my guns I have purchased were purchased "new" or gifted to me from family. My brother in-law is wanted to sell my dad a Ruger Blackhawk 45. This gun has only been shot once since since 1990 I believe he said.

Given that I am new to buying "used" guns I would like to shoot it or have a gunsmith look at it before it goes to my dad. I want to make sure the gun is functioning properly. Is this legitimate request or is there another process?

Thanks for the feedback.
If your brother in law only fired the gun once and kept it clean then it would be just like buying a brand new gun. two years ago I bought a used 357 magnum titanium 617 taurus and it is a great gun. A lot of used guns out there usually only have had a few hundred rounds ran through them which isnt much. You can get your best bargains on used guns if you know what to look for. A Ruger blackhawk is a pretty solid peice of hardware it would take a lot to screw one up.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

If it looks like it was not abused, thee is not much that could be wrong with it. Ruger Blackhawks are very solid. The only question would be accuracy. If it let the factory as an accurate revolver, it probably still is. If it did not shoot well from the factory, it still does not shot well. I would be OK with giving it a good look over and trust that it shoots well. Ruger does not mess up these revolvers very often.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #8

This is an easy one. Like others have posted, Rugers are pretty darn bullet-proof (pun intended). VERY rugged and capable of shooting loads many other guns would never survive (not that your father will be shooting abusive loads in the gun).

If the gun is clean (not all scratched, rusted, showing lots of range time or abused) you will know in about 30 seconds...

If the price is reasonable...($400 or lower)...that's an easy one...

If your dad likes the gun (you said he did)...done deal....

No need to fire the gun to determine function...if you can easily shoot the gun, I'd do it to verify your father LIKES the feel, can shoot it to his satisfaction and can he handle the gun at the range.

If for some reason the gun does not function when you and your father take it out to the range...Ruger will stand behind the gun. They are very good about this! As far as concerns for accuracy...what range will your father shoot? If under 25 yards, I suspect about any Ruger SA revolver will easily manage that...if for some strange reason it does not, well, again, Ruger will check it out and repair the gun if it's found to be a gun problem.

IMHO...if you intend on doing a bit of "investigation" beyond the questions you asked here and beyond the "once-over inspection"...

It might be worthwhile to do some searching "GunBroker.com"...log on and do a search for the Ruger model & barrel length your relative is selling to verify the true market value...confine your search to guns that actually match your intended purchase AND have actually sold (search "history" of sales made over the past year) do not compare to the guns that have not sold...these obviously were OVER priced or they would have sold). Do this if you are still unsure...

Good luck.

Bob

Last edited by vonfatman; 12-29-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:49 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Beartooth Bullets > Tech Notes > Ruger Single-Actions: America's Best Do-It-Yourself Kit!
articles (See "Ruger Cylinder Throats")
The Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt, (and some other calibers), has a continuing history with cylinder throats of varying diameters. This has a direct bearing on the accuracy of the revolver. Overall, the Blackhawk is a fine single-action; but it isn't without issues.

Last edited by crossfire; 01-02-2010 at 03:52 AM.