Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > python or 686

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 03:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default python or 686

python or 686 i have both and the python has a better trigger and accuracy is unknown to me cause i will not shoot a python that has only been fired twice. it's really more of an investmen. 1974 nickel , 4" and as mint as you can imagine. but if the shtf i know that nobody is getting close to me with the 686. well maybe a sniper but seriously the 686 is an awsome gun and groups well with a heavy bullet. most feel the 125gre is best but i step it up and hold on for dear life. soon i will recieve a 44magnum mountain gun. 1 of 1`000 and bluer than blue can be. since i got the python , via the 686 and now the 44mag i have'nt looked back at my sigs or any auto i own. they are (revolvers) just too awsome. still carry a g21sf and a p220 elite st but in the night stand are the big guns. i'll worry about a jury when i'm before one. better a jury than a undertaker

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2008, 03:19 AM   #2

oh , how i can forget my talo model60 is not like me. 5 rds but i srtill carry her. it's a great backup /ankle gun.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #3

For every opinion there is another, personally I have never owned a Python I liked, and they do tend towards indexing problems, which are very difficult to get right, if at all. Not withstanding the action of the Python for me the 686 is the better revolver and they shoot better with a little age.............

Regards

Old 02-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #4

If you want a gun to shoot many 1000's of rounds through, get the 686. They're easy to come by and easy to replace if you ever wear it out.
If you want a really fine showpiece to take out and shoot occasionally, get the Python.
Guns like the Python are akin to owning a Ferrari or any rare or exotic collector car. They're always awsome to look at, and a lot fun to take for a drive on a nice day, but you don't want to rack up a lot of mileage on it.
I have a 4" Ultimate Stainless Python that I got about 7-8 years ago and I really love it. The action is the smoothest I've ever felt on a stock production revolver, but becasue of its value and rarity, I give it extra special care. I only shoot a custom tailored medium-velocity jacketed load out of it because I don't want to beat the thing to death, and I don't want to get it all leaded up either. For the hot loads and the lead stuff, I have other .357's that fit the bill nicely such as my Dan Wesson and Ruger Blackhawk.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 02-10-2008, 03:06 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Huh?

I read the first posting four times, and each time I was scratching my head at the end trying to understand it!

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:14 AM   #6

686 all the way.... the python is a cool gun to have and pretty to look at. if it comes down to buisness though, I would take the 686 anyday as far as revolvers go. i agree with the post likening it to a ferrari, cool for a sunday drive, but everyday guts and grind, give me the work horse of a SMW686.

In Valor,
There is Hope.
-Tacitus

Old 02-20-2008, 10:08 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Why the Python shoots so smooth and accurate is with reason,as is everything else about the gun. The Python has exceeded the industry standards since it's introduction in 1955, with a left hand barrel twist of 6 rifling grooves, as opposed to 5 for most others, and a twist rate of 1 in 14 inches, as opposed to the industry standard of 1 in 18 3/4 inches. The barrel also has an inner surface that is polished to a mirrored smoothness like no other revolver manufacturer. Another noted feature of the barrel is the bore diameter that tapers by 1/1000 of an inch toward the muzzle, forcing the bullet deeper into the rifling.

The action of the Python has at least six individual hand polishing and honing steps performed. The trigger stroke and hammer fall are longer than those of the S&W, Ruger, Taurus, or Dan Wesson, which some may feel is bad, but in fact, it's good because the longer hammer fall provides a harder strike on the frame mounted firing pin. With a lighter trigger action, this longer hammer fall, provides a more reliable primer ignition, while providing the Python with a positive trigger return, from shot to shot.

Assisting in the cylinder lockup is the "Second Hand", which rises under the first hand, locking the cylinder motionless in place at the moment of the shot.

These are some of the differences I've found with the Python, as opposed to other revolvers.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:16 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There is a down side to the Python's tight fit. My Python (1981 vintage), after 20 to 25 quick rounds, will refuse to function in double action. The parts heat up and expand and you can't reasonably pull the trigger . You either have to let the gun cool or go single action.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:10 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Rock View Post
There is a down side to the Python's tight fit. My Python (1981 vintage), after 20 to 25 quick rounds, will refuse to function in double action. The parts heat up and expand and you can't reasonably pull the trigger . You either have to let the gun cool or go single action.
There is a down side to "Your" Python. The Python parts are heat treated to begin with. I've put over 500 rds in a single set through my snakes without a single malfunction. I'm not saying to to down play the Smith & Wessons, because I own many of those as well.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:43 AM   #10

Default Python V 686

When I shot revolvers on a team..I was lucky enough to be in San Francisco wher gunsmith Bob Chow (R.I.P.) did ultimate Python tuning and action jobs.
I owned 3....one was in the shop, 1 was carried and 1 was my back-up shooter. I was shooting about 1,000 rounds per week.

Finest pistol I have every shot with BUT retiming and repairs were part of the deal.

I switched to Smythons...Python barrel on S&W frame. Solved everything. Those Python barrels with their .356 interior finish really work.

In todays world, I would go with a S&S 686 with a professional action job and wolff spring kit.

Wheel guns rock !