Problems with Taurus Model 85 .38 Special Ultralite
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Problems with Taurus Model 85 .38 Special Ultralite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Problems with Taurus Model 85 .38 Special Ultralite

Hello. I just bought my first handgun in over 20 years. I was in the Army and have plenty of experience with military rifles, but have only shot a .22 and .45. I recently bought a Taurus .38 Special (Ultralite). I've run into a couple of problems.

1. The trigger is a monster. I'm assuming that it's for a purpose (shouldn't be so easy being a 2" barrel). But it's not consistent through the pull like I think it should be.

2. Within the first 30 rounds, I experienced what I thought (and still think, to some degree) were FTFs. While pulling the trigger slowly, it will get to the point where you get one last 'click' before it drops the hammer, and it will stop. I can let off the trigger, and pull again, and it will fire. Today, I decided to get the gun to repeat this while dry firing, and it did. After further testing, I found out that if I squeezed much harder it would go ahead and fire. So, it didn't actually get stuck, but got in a spot where it required me to almost have to use both hands to get it to drop the hammer.

Any ideas on this?

Also, about the trigger (problem #1), I called a gunsmith in my area, and he wanted $150 to change the springs. I'm not really into sinking $150 into a $330 gun, only days after I bought it. If I wanted to do that, I'd have bought a more expensive gun.

Is changing the springs a difficult process? I have no experience breaking down anything other than an M-16 and M249 SAW. Is that a high price to change the springs?

Thanks in advance. Glad I found this community.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #2

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Well 1st let me say i'm NOT Taurus basher! I've owned well over 2 dozen & like them & its cousin Rossi
BUT, I bought one mdl 85 liteweight & it was a POS from the getgo
Mine did not "go ahead & fire" that puppy froze up!
I took it back & traded for i don't even remember----
Back to the question tho- Changing MOST of the springs is not a big deal but if you're not familiar with DA guns you might want to seek help--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #3

Forgive my ignorance... I'm learning all of the acronyms. What does DA stand for?

And, I salute your signature. I was in the 25th ID (Army), but spent 28 great days in the Philippines alongside the Marines over there.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixboots View Post
Forgive my ignorance... I'm learning all of the acronyms. What does DA stand for?

And, I salute your signature. I was in the 25th ID (Army), but spent 28 great days in the Philippines alongside the Marines over there.
SEMPER FI

DA is double action - its surprizing how many moving parts are in one

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8966 Times on 3881 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

DA stands for Double Action. With a revolver, means you can pull trigger without cocking hammer, and hammer will rise and fall.

Bro, before you start swapping parts, hoping that the Goddess of firearms will look upon you with favor and you will find the problem before you run out of money- problem may not be the springs- either return it to the maker, or find a good pistolsmith.

Me- would be returning to maker.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #6

Thanks guys. One more thing. I didn't expect it to have as good of accuracy as a 9mm I shot (4in barrel), but the first 5 rounds... I didn't hit the target at about 15-20 feet (DA). With SA, my shot grouping was about 6 inches high and 4 inches to the left. With the 9mm, I was all around the bullseye, within an area about the size of a cantaloupe, so I don't think it's my aim. This gun has fixed sights, of course, so I understand that I may have to adjust my aim somewhat, but that much?

Old 04-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks guys. One more thing. I didn't expect it to have as good of accuracy as a 9mm I shot (4in barrel), but the first 5 rounds... I didn't hit the target at about 15-20 feet (DA). With SA, my shot grouping was about 6 inches high and 4 inches to the left. With the 9mm, I was all around the bullseye, within an area about the size of a cantaloupe, so I don't think it's my aim. This gun has fixed sights, of course, so I understand that I may have to adjust my aim somewhat, but that much?
That my friend- Will just take shooting it
Also (no offence) let someone else shoot it- see how it compares

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #8

Update: Upon breaking down the cylinder, I found that Taurus had packed it plum full of oil. After cleaning it out, not only did it fire about 80 rounds without issues, but the trigger, although still stout, became much smoother as well.

Not only that, but it actually does shoot as straight as anything. Just had to get used to firing such a small gun.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Update: Upon breaking down the cylinder, I found that Taurus had packed it plum full of oil. After cleaning it out, not only did it fire about 80 rounds without issues, but the trigger, although still stout, became much smoother as well.

Not only that, but it actually does shoot as straight as anything. Just had to get used to firing such a small gun.
Gud news all around

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1361 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

Quote:

Good to know because I bought my first Taurus wheelgun a few weeks ago, a model 65 .357 4" and haven't had time to shoot it yet.