problems with S&W Airweight 637-2 - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > problems with S&W Airweight 637-2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 05:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 128 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Default LOOKING FOR WRITE -up

Did Bear do a write-up on flipping the cylinder open/close on a revolver. I see people doing it all the time at the range. I was looking forward to reading it. Looked and didn't see anything anywhere,didn't know if I mist it...THANKS...

Old 11-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp9mm View Post
smith and wesson has very good customer service.
Think they'll repair that rear sight??

Old 11-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
here is the pics of the sights on the airweight. I put red lines on the edges of the rear sight. You can clearly see the rear sight groove is not centered. May not look like much but on a such a short sight radius, this equates to a couple of inches at ten yards and several inches at 25yds.
Are you going to ask S&W to replace the frame due to the sight channel? Please keep us posted. I just checked my new, yet to be fired, Airweight and the rear sight is off center just like yours.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just measured my 638 and it is perfectly centered, I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 11-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I've seen this on several revolvers, mostly small framed Colt's, even had an owner ask me about it saying "it shoots high and really left". This was on a gun that had to have been made in the 70's, so "China" couldn't have been an issue.

First I've heard of multiple S&Ws having this condition, interesting to see some more pics???

Old 11-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #16

I sent the snub back to smith & wesson with a list the list of issues a few days ago. They were nice enough to send me a fed x mailing label to send back on their dime. I will post pics when I receive the gun back. I am hoping they replace the frame due to the sights and rubbing issues.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 11-11-2010, 01:50 AM   #17

Well just received a phone call from S&W. They ended up replacing the frame which means a new serial # so it has to be sent to a dealer with a FFL. I will post pics of the gun when I receive it. I am very impressed at the turn around. Good ol Smith and Wesson.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:04 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
Well just received a phone call from S&W. They ended up replacing the frame which means a new serial # so it has to be sent to a dealer with a FFL. I will post pics of the gun when I receive it. I am very impressed at the turn around. Good ol Smith and Wesson.
Great news, and great CS. Let us know how it shoots

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 11-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #19

Liked 128 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 246

That was fast !!!...

Old 02-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #20

Sorry I have not been on the sight for a while. But I did receive the gun about a month ago. Smith and Wesson had it sent back in licky split but they had to send it to a gunsmith since they replaced the frame, thus a new serial number, thus a FFL was needed. Anyhoot, The gunsmith had it for the last couple of months in his shop, but he took an extended vacation. Not so happy about that.
Anyways I am happy to report the gun shoots fine and the back sight groove is more to the center, not exact, but good enough. I will have to say that the finished frame seemed darker in color and it seems to me it is a bit heavier than I recall. I don't mind, but noticed the increase of the forward weight. Also I just noticed that my gun seems to be missing the stop plate that moves up and down protecting the firing pin. Unless Smith had changed the design, I could swear they forgot to place it back on. I am going back to the range and try to fire it by partly pulling the hammer back and letting it drop. Other than this it works great and has good accuracy. I will post pics later today or tomorrow.