problems with S&W Airweight 637-2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > problems with S&W Airweight 637-2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default problems with S&W Airweight 637-2

Normally I clean my guns after each practice session. However after the last session, I skipped the cleaning and did some dry fire and reload drills at home. Being the gun is still dirty, some obvious issues glared out. See pictures below. I noticed that my cylinder was rubbing against my forcing cone. I checked the rotation with the cylinder closed and it does not rub. There is no play back and forth when the cylinder is closed, however there is a little cylinder play back and forth in the open position. It only rubs when closing the cylinder. You can see this by the mark pattern on the face of the cylinder. I currently have about 800 to 900 rounds in this gun. Any ideas what could be causing this?

cylinder.jpg   forcing-cone.jpg  

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It looks to me that the cylinder crane is out of adjustment. It not only rubbing on the cylinder but also the crane is rubbing. You COULD fix it yourself but I'd advise taking it to a gunsmith or sending it back to the factory.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #3

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

gadrooning,

I'm not trying to say this is the cause in your case, but perhaps this would be a good opportunity for bear to write up a little something about "flipping" the cylinder open / closed on a revolver like they do in the movies? If he wants to that is.....

Coming from a pro like him and using your pics as an example might help prevent any newbies from encountering this kind of issue. Would make a good "sticky", IMO. Just a thought that hit me....

What do you think Mr. stalkingbear?

Old 10-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sounds good. I'll do a writeup later today or tomorrow. I'm getting ready to go to pain management doc right now.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #5

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Sounds good. I'll do a writeup later today or tomorrow. I'm getting ready to go to pain management doc right now.
Hey, first things first buddy. We got nothin but time...
Go take care of #1 - that's what really matters.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Try the opposite end. Check for debris under the ejector star. carbon and unburned powder will end up there and cause the condition you are describing. Fore and aft movement in the open position is perfectly normal. There should be the slightest of movement when closed. For it to be rock solid is a cause for concern. Clean the gun carefully and thoroughly. Keep the underside of the ejector bone dry to prevent this build up in the future.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-20-2010, 01:33 AM   #7

well I spoke with someone over at smith and wesson. They will be sending me a premailed fedex box to send the firearm in. I will keep you guys in the loop. I do keep my guns in tip top shape and typically clean them thoroughly after each shooting session. I use to swing my cylinder shut when I had my first revolver and learned the hard way. I always close the cylinder with my weak hand now. but I think bear writing up a article would be great. I did, however, notice after closer examination that the forcing cone has developed a sharp, burr edge on the outside diameter of the cone. The cylinder is rubbing when opening, not rubbing when its closing???? Is it possible that the constant pressure of being sheathed in a soft IWB holster has bent the crane or ejector rod. Also while examining, I also noticed that the rear sight groove is not centered on the frame. I can't believe this is OK in a smith and wesson quality control. The snub has always shot a little right, but I dismissed it as a bad trigger pull. I will post pics tomorrow on this.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #8

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Now you got me checking my gun with a fine tooth comb,so fare it looks good. Show those other pic's before you send the gun back,I can't see S/W sending a gun out with bad sights. But I guess it happens. I'v got so many things new in the box and to only find things missing or broken. Every thing MADE IN CHINA... nowdays

Old 10-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #9

here is the pics of the sights on the airweight. I put red lines on the edges of the rear sight. You can clearly see the rear sight groove is not centered. May not look like much but on a such a short sight radius, this equates to a couple of inches at ten yards and several inches at 25yds.

sight.jpg   sight-2.jpg  

Old 10-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #10

smith and wesson has very good customer service.

Last edited by bhp9mm; 10-25-2010 at 10:19 PM.