pro 640 vs 60
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > pro 640 vs 60

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default pro 640 vs 60

I've been thinking of getting a .357 j-frame snubby as an alternate carry - either the 640 pro w 2" barrel but no external hammer, or the 60 pro which has a 3" bbl and an external hammer for range shooting enjoyment, but it's not as concealable and I can only buy one darn it. I've never had a dao hammerless type revolver so it feels a little strange, although I do carry a little .380 ruger LCP in my pocket which is dao, but it's not a revolver. As I write this I'm thinking there's not much anyone can say, the choice is ultimately mine to make. Logic has me leaning towards the 640 cause concealability trumps target shooting in the real world. Anyone want to chime in please do, thanks for listening.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2012, 03:06 AM   #2

I own a s&w60-15 3" tube ss gun
Great ccw i take to the range only for
Trigger time its a handful w/357..
38 or +p its good

Old 07-21-2012, 03:17 AM   #3

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Personally i dont like shrouded hammer guns, but for a practical cc gun it would probly be best

Old 07-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Ok just my opinion. If you plan to use it for personal protection either concealed or house gun I would go with the 640. Your probably not going to want to use the single action mode in a personal defense situation and if the gun doesn't have one, some lawyer can't say you did (causing the infamous HAIR TRIGGER) even if you didn't.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 07-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by howhoo50 View Post
I've been thinking of getting a .357 j-frame snubby as an alternate carry - either the 640 pro w 2" barrel but no external hammer, or the 60 pro which has a 3" bbl and an external hammer for range shooting enjoyment, but it's not as concealable and I can only buy one darn it. I've never had a dao hammerless type revolver so it feels a little strange, although I do carry a little .380 ruger LCP in my pocket which is dao, but it's not a revolver. As I write this I'm thinking there's not much anyone can say, the choice is ultimately mine to make. Logic has me leaning towards the 640 cause concealability trumps target shooting in the real world. Anyone want to chime in please do, thanks for listening.
Since not all snakes walk on two legs I am reluctant to give up the single action option on a revolver. I would go with the 60 keeping in mind that you can get it in two inch, and you can get it without the internal lock.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Having both a Model 36 and a 60. If I were forced to choose, the 3" would stay. It is amazing how much difference 1" can make as far as a sight plane. Adjustable sights are good. A tad more weight on the muzzle helps The 3" does loose a 100 fps when compared to my 4" .357, but it is a joy to carry.
If your desire is to have a gun that works at the 7-10 yards some people are concerned with well?? If you want a gun that you will find yourself carrying into the woods as well as more "civiiized" places go with the 3 ". If your thinking about a "get home gun", go with the 3'.
After purchasing a M&P 9 with a laser, I'm still carrying the 3" 60.