pmc 357 wont work in my gp 100 - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > pmc 357 wont work in my gp 100

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #31
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2797 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

There are ammo go-nogo gauges out there.

Manufacturers equipment can get a little off.

As long as the OP is satisfied with the outcome, no problem.

With the current ammo shortage, we all need to be careful what we purchase. Reloads at a gun show are tempting, but "Buyer Beware".

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #32
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3070 Times on 2086 Posts
Likes Given: 657

Default glad it worked out

OP glad it worked out for you. My DW has an SP101 & I gave her my Late Dad's Security six...only Ammo that would not "load" was 30 year old Western .38 Spl.'s(bullet's went out of shape and fit in my Late FIL's J-frame but not the newer guns...Ammo discarded...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 09-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #33

Default It Absolutely IS an Ammo Issue

Mis-posted (sorry!).

Please see next one...

Last edited by TheBob_1; 09-19-2013 at 04:26 AM.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:23 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick3411 View Post
I am a noobie to revolvers. I wasn't expecting them to be as ammo sensitive as my semi autos. I had bought 4 boxes of PMC 357 and the cylinder won't even close when I load these rounds. It was fine with the PMC 38 sp and even the range reloads. It just surprised me. At the cost of ammo I hate having ammo I can't even shoot and the store says that can't exchange it.

Anyone else have this happen to them.

YES!!!

Today, I had the exact same problem with the same ammo (PMC) in a brand new GP100. Okay, I had put thirty rounds of 38 thru it before - hardly enough to cause any buildup.

The PMC 357 was so tight I could barely close or rotate the cylinder, but all cartridges slid in and out of the chambers easily - the gun is too new and barely-used to be fouled and was even cleaned after the few 38's that had gone thru it.

Anyhow... I assumed 357 ammo was meant for a 357 revolver, so I went ahead and pushed it -- That is, I manually cocked the gun (SA required significant force) and ran the 6 PMC's thru it. Then shot six 38's easily (DA and SA were both fine), then loaded six more PMC's. Same problem: WAY TOO TIGHT!

Has anyone contacted PMC? I think I will, but would like to know what others have learned and experienced before I do. Hate to send the GP100 back for any modifications - especially to looser tolerances, and especially if it is the ammo's fault!

Many thanks.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #35
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3070 Times on 2086 Posts
Likes Given: 657

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBob_1

YES!!!

Today, I had the exact same problem with the same ammo (PMC) in a brand new GP100. Okay, I had put thirty rounds of 38 thru it before - hardly enough to cause any buildup.

The PMC 357 was so tight I could barely close or rotate the cylinder, but all cartridges slid in and out of the chambers easily - the gun is too new and barely-used to be fouled and was even cleaned after the few 38's that had gone thru it.

Anyhow... I assumed 357 ammo was meant for a 357 revolver, so I went ahead and pushed it -- That is, I manually cocked the gun (SA required significant force) and ran the 6 PMC's thru it. Then shot six 38's easily (DA and SA were both fine), then loaded six more PMC's. Same problem: WAY TOO TIGHT!

Has anyone contacted PMC? I think I will, but would like to know what others have learned and experienced before I do. Hate to send the GP100 back for any modifications - especially to looser tolerances, and especially if it is the ammo's fault!

Many thanks.
Bob(that is your name I hope, sry. If not): Which PMC ammo (what color box, bronze, silver) ? We have lots of PMC Bronze & Gold Match 9mm, and Bronze and Silver 38/357? Not to say it can't happen, and Ruger QA/QC is among the best in the industry( and I'm not just saying it because I own Rugers and we have a Forum member who works there), but it COULD be mismatched spacing with your cylinder, ( Read about this in my GunSmithing coursework)... This has happened as you can see, with some 20+ Y.O. Ammo we had that belonged to my late FIL for his J-Frame and K-frame Smiths,...
Also, if the ammo was stored improperly or transported through "Heat" for an extended period, lead bullets can soften just a bit,..but it's enough to cause a "mismatched tolerance," as what happened with 2 and a half boxes of Winchester super X 38 round nose,...20+ years of sitting in a warm attic storage space, on a top floor 3 story condo Apt., "dis-formed" The ammo so it would not fit in any 38 cylinder!

Not to say your ammo was old,..or your gun is warped. Have a competent smith look at it before you shoot with it again.

Funny aside: I once asked Joe( my FIL) after a range trip " why do you shoot with range ammo, and then after 60+ rounds and a cleaning, put back the same 5 rounds you had in the gun before the range? If it's like some old Cop superstition let me in the the great secret please" " No secret, these are silvertips, they are 5 of the last 10 I have" "And you can't buy any more? Last I heard every GS on Long Island sells them or can order them." I said. " I'm retired, you know how expensive they are now?"
By the way, when Joe passed a few months after we were married, he left me the 10 silvertips, not his 38(which went to my wife of course) not his Model 10 or his model 19,(my BIL) but I got his 1911, and 320 rds. of 45, and 10 38spl. silver tips....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 09-19-2013 at 07:38 AM.
orangello Likes This 
Old 09-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #36

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBob_1 View Post
Mis-posted (sorry!).

Please see next one...
Use the "edit" function, works on pc's and phones.