Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > play in cylinder on one chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default play in cylinder on one chamber?

i have a taurus 605, i have had it since december 2010. when i bought it i checked cylinder gap, and tightness by cocking and keeping my finger on trigger while lowering hammer once. all cylinder holes line up with barrel perfect and the gun is more accurate than i thought snubbies are supposed to be. there is no trouble firing or ejecting 38 or 357's, i was watching you tube earlier and a guy said to check each chamber for lockup tightness. i decided to check mine, 4 lockup with the welded to the frame strength but one has slight play. nothing back to front just a tad up - down as i try and turn the cylinder. i thought if one is tight all should be but i was wrong. what would cause one place to have movement?, and will it hurt anything? i sure would hate to send it in cause it works great and is my only handgun, but i don't want to hurt it or run into trouble in a defense situation. thanks for any help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
Retired

Liked 2267 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 1058

IMO, if it works, then don't fix it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 11-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #3

Liked 7547 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

There are 5 separate cuts on the star (rachet) on the rear of the cylinder. Try scrubbing that area well, check again.

And while this may sound like heresy, if it is shooting well, leave it be. The funnel shape of the forcing cone is designed to feed a bullet into the barrel that is not aligned to .0000000000000001.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

+1 that it's likely an out-of-spec ratchet, but it may be coupled with an out-of-spec slot for the cylinder lock/stop. As long as it's not spitting lead and shoots well I encourage you leave both areas alone other than keeping them clean. If you try to peen them you can make a much bigger problem.

The accurate method of checking cylinder alignment is a range rod with a proper caliber head. If you find the pistol starts spitting have each cylinder checked. Many times the best cure is to cut a little wider and more gradual forcing cone for one or two slightly out of range cylinders. If the majority are out of range a bit more work is involved.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i looked real close at the cuts on the star and they look even and all look the same. i think its just the cut in my cylinder is larger on one spot. it doesn't spit lead and has a real close cylinder to barrel gap, i gues as long as the play isn't bad it would be better to leave things alone.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #6

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

If it shoots okay you should be just fine. I have seen lots of cylinders that have more play in some positions than others. There should never be a lot of play or sloppiness but ever-so-slight movement is not unusual.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #7

Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Read the "How To Buy A Used Revolver" in the Knowledge Base section. Yoy should find most of the info you need there. It also has photos.

Jim...........

Old 11-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quit watching Youtube!

Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg