Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Pics of the "New to me" 686 in my other thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Pics of the "New to me" 686 in my other thread...

Figured it deserved a different thread for pictures, than for the one about the age.

I'll show the work I do to it over time in here.

As i got it:

I havent cleaned it yet. I'll also be hitting it with aluminum and mag polish to give it a mirror finish like my SP101. Prety sure its been sitting for about 20 years.

Oh, and pics of the "original" ammo it came with. Note the price tags.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2011, 11:33 PM   #2

I did 1 polishing session (pretty much did 3 rounds of polishing) on the smith last night, maybe 2 hours worth.

Its hard to see in the pictures, but in person the difference is night and day, the gun is near mirror finish now and all the light scratches and machine marks are gone.

before:

after:

Kinda hard to see in the pics i guess, but focus on the barrel, and where the cylinder is reflecting on the frame.

It'll likely get another 4 hours worth of polishing this weekend.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #3

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Lookin' good Dr.

Can't wait to see what 4 more hours will look like!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
Home Sweet Home!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16986 Times on 9834 Posts
Likes Given: 44235

very nice pistol there Dr. that looks like the 6" barrel on there. can't wait to hear how it shoots. oops, i'm sorry, it's a Smith, it will shoot just fine!

Old 11-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Who says Revolvers can't be Sexy??? Not me?

Hello all, RON L here

I have to ask Who says Revolvers can't be sexy? Not me, thats is sure a Nice one, good work and congrats!

RON L

Old 11-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #6

This is the SP101 I worked on prior....this is the eventualy finish I'm aiming for on the smith.

P.S. the smith is from 1983, and looked new whan I got it. As I said, those were the two boxes of ammo the guy bought when he bought the gun, and they're only missing about 25 rounds!

Before:

After:

I actually traded the sp101 for a new shotgun, then sold my other shotgun and used that cash to buy this...so essentially parlayed the SP101 into the smith, and upgraded my shotgun as well.

But I digress....the polishing process is actually pretty darn simple, just takes a while.

And as for the grips on the 686, I'm pretty much set on some Ahrends Combar grips. I have a set on my S&W 325pd that I live the feel of. unfortunately, the wood has really poor figure on those grips, and they just look "bland" but I see very good pictures of their other products. Not sure on what wood though, but most likely cocobolo.

Its either that, or some Badger grips (as seen on the SP101 above) in some color of laminate, in a full size square butt flavor.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Both the S&W 686 and the Ruger SP101 look great. The polish job on the SP101 shows up great in the pictures! Nice job.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
Home Sweet Home!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16986 Times on 9834 Posts
Likes Given: 44235

little bit of time and polish and some different grips and that Ruger just doesn't look like the same pistol. bet the Smith turns out nice too. good luck.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #9

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I like to keep mine nice and dull. Wouldn't want to be liable for blinding the bad guy Very pretty!

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #10

Thanks guys, i polished it for another hour and a half or so last night, and will do so again tonight. Cant wait to order some grips for it, and get it finished up.

Also cant wait to shoot the thing, i still havent even taken it out yet! (working on getting the old jeep to run right insted...)