Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > other revolving carbines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 172 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 281

Default other revolving carbines

Ok...With the Judge Carbine out there and doing well from what i understand I was wondering if you all seen other revolving carbines in the future? I was thinking it would be pretty cool to have a 500 S&W or a 460 S&W carbine...What do you all think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7559 Times on 3292 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Well, for what it's worth, they were around for a while in the 60s. The 1860s. Looked like this-

Name:  Coltrevolvrifle.jpg
Views: 4672
Size:  46.0 KB Click the pic to enlarge

Problem they had was the cylinder flash- which the Judge uses a shield to protect your weak arm from- and with black powder, limits of the energy. There WAS a nifty little carbine called the LeMat- upper barrel pistol bullets, lower barrel shotgun.

Revolving carbines are like dogs that play poker- they do not have to play poker WELL- it's just that they play poker at all.

I have a .410 shotgun- a Remington 1100. And I have a .45 revolver. Can't see that a revolving carbine for either would fill a screaming need in the gun world.

A lever action .500 could be interesting- for the states that permit only "pistol caliber" rifles for deer hunting, or states that do not permit autoloaders.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #3

Liked 62 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
There WAS a nifty little carbine called the LeMat- upper barrel pistol bullets, lower barrel shotgun.
Talk about rare. The pistols are pretty common but there's only 14 known LeMat carbines. That's almost as rare as the Confederate Schneider and Glassic revolver.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 08-22-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Rossi is selling several styles, never seen one in person.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:15 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7559 Times on 3292 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

If you are ever in Richmond VA, there is an ORIGINAL LeMat carbine on display at the Battle Abbey (well worth the visit- same block as the VA Museum of Fine Art) They also have THE only copy of the Pacificator carbine. Sort of a pepperbox revolving carbine.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:53 AM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

There is a revolving 22 mag carbine coming in right now through CzechpointUSA. Now if I can get them to import the 357 mag version...
http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/products/revolvers/other/hunter-revolver-carbine/

Last edited by armoredman; 08-22-2011 at 04:55 AM.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:14 AM   #7

Liked 180 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I agree I've always wanted a lever action in 500 S&W, I think it would make a scary home defense round.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 08-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #8

Liked 62 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
If you are ever in Richmond VA, there is an ORIGINAL LeMat carbine on display at the Battle Abbey (well worth the visit- same block as the VA Museum of Fine Art) They also have THE only copy of the Pacificator carbine. Sort of a pepperbox revolving carbine.
Cool! I'd like to see that.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 08-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #9

Liked 103 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
I agree I've always wanted a lever action in 500 S&W, I think it would make a scary home defense round.
and being a rifle they could make it 26" overall and a 16" barrel,be a nicd HD gun

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 08-23-2011, 02:58 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think the ability to empty a cylinder of buckshot as fast as you can pull the trigger has its place. I mean, each shot is like getting hit 5 times with an M9. And, with a speedloader it could be reloaded faster from empty than a tube-fed weapon could.

I'd probably buy one if they could shoot .454casull. I could see the versatility of using the 5x000 buck loads for close range, and then swapping in a cylinder of .454Cas and effectively reaching out to 200-250 yards. But, being limited to standard-pressure .45Colt really limits its usefulness for me.

The limited reviews I've found show them as being very accurate for what they are. It sounds like 2-3MOA isn't out of the question, really.

So, an essentially-"semi-auto," light-weight long gun that can shoot and chamber any .410 shotgun shell (and the .410 loads are getting more and more effective each year, especially decent-length barrels), and then be loaded with any variety of powerful handgun loads**, would be extremely versatile. You'd have almost the power of something like a low-capacity semi-auto .308 (admittedly, without the hard-target penetration capabilities), but with the versatility of a revolver AND a shotgun.

Now, this is all hypothetical considering they can't even handle +P .45Colt, let alone .454 Casull. However, even still, if I were in the market for a .45-colt long gun and wasn't looking for longer-range hotrod loads, I'd probably pick up a Circuit Judge over a Marlin. Even without the option of .410, I'd like the versatility it allowed in shell length, and I'd like the fast reloads and ability to shoot effectively semi-auto.

*edit*

I would like to add that it would be AWESOME to have one with the barrel chopped to the forend, and topped with an Aimpoint. It would be super-compact while remaining effective, and of course a good red-dot is unmatched in target acquisition.

Last edited by Lindenwood; 08-23-2011 at 02:30 PM.