Older Ruger 357s?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Older Ruger 357s?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Older Ruger 357s?

I have seen several older Ruger 357s for sale used lately and I'm not sure what the difference is between the Security Six, Speed Six, and Service Six. Can anyone help educate me?
I know Ruger has a reputation for being built like a tank, specifically regarding the GP100. Does the same quality exist in these older models as well?

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm not sure of the exact sequence, but those models pre-date the GP100 series. The Security Six had adjustable sights and directly precedes the GP series. The Speed Six had channel sights. I'm not sure where the Service Six fits in there as I don't know anything about it. In fact, I've never seen one.

I had a stainless 4" Security Six and it's the revolver that I miss the most. They are stout, tough revolvers. They are generally available for decent prices. Just get one in good shape and you'll be very happy with it.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #3

Liked 113 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 42

All 3 were made on the same size frame. The Service Six was intended for law enforcement and made with fixed sites.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Bear.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

One of the few guns I regret trading away was my early 80s stainless Security Six. These are great revolvers...

Old 03-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies. Is the Security Six as durable as the GP100? My understanding is that the GP100 can take a pretty steady diet of full-.357 rounds without any difficulty...something most of the S&W revolvers can't even do. Can the old Security Six take .357s all day?

Old 03-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

In a word, yup.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleKing View Post
Can the old Security Six take .357s all day?
I don't know of any Ruger that can't take a steady diet of magnum loads. That's all any of my Rugers get fed. The Smiths however get fed special loads. I'd but any of the three you mentioned in a heartbeat. . . heck just get all three.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:55 AM   #9

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
One of the few guns I regret trading away was my early 80s stainless Security Six. These are great revolvers...
I had one of these in 6", in a way I'm sorry I traded it away as well. They were extremely well built, I just wanted to go to .44 mag revolvers otherwise I'd probably still own it.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I love my Service-Six. It was one of the best revolvers I ever carried back in the .38 only days. Far stronger than the Smiths or the Colts of the same caliber. Durn easy to take apart for cleaning too. Available in stainless steel so I could wear it in the rain and not have to take it apart after each dunking. Nice trigger too.

Here is the way it was supposed to go:

Uniformed Police got the Service Six with fixed sights being the only option.

Plain clothes guys (and gals) got the rounded corners of the Speed Six with a short barrel being the most common option.

Target shooters and Sport Shooters got the Security Six which was available in several barrel lengths.

Last edited by superc; 03-05-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Added words