Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Older Ruger 357s? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/older-ruger-357s-24087/)

CastleKing 03-02-2010 03:01 PM

Older Ruger 357s?

I have seen several older Ruger 357s for sale used lately and I'm not sure what the difference is between the Security Six, Speed Six, and Service Six. Can anyone help educate me?
I know Ruger has a reputation for being built like a tank, specifically regarding the GP100. Does the same quality exist in these older models as well?

Thanks!

CA357 03-02-2010 03:13 PM

I'm not sure of the exact sequence, but those models pre-date the GP100 series. The Security Six had adjustable sights and directly precedes the GP series. The Speed Six had channel sights. I'm not sure where the Service Six fits in there as I don't know anything about it. In fact, I've never seen one.

I had a stainless 4" Security Six and it's the revolver that I miss the most. They are stout, tough revolvers. They are generally available for decent prices. Just get one in good shape and you'll be very happy with it.

stalkingbear 03-02-2010 04:13 PM

All 3 were made on the same size frame. The Service Six was intended for law enforcement and made with fixed sites.

CA357 03-02-2010 04:37 PM

Thanks Bear. :cool:

NGIB 03-02-2010 05:05 PM

One of the few guns I regret trading away was my early 80s stainless Security Six. These are great revolvers...

CastleKing 03-02-2010 05:45 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Is the Security Six as durable as the GP100? My understanding is that the GP100 can take a pretty steady diet of full-.357 rounds without any difficulty...something most of the S&W revolvers can't even do. Can the old Security Six take .357s all day?

CA357 03-02-2010 05:50 PM

In a word, yup. :D

diggsbakes 03-03-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CastleKing (Post 239807)
Can the old Security Six take .357s all day?

I don't know of any Ruger that can't take a steady diet of magnum loads. That's all any of my Rugers get fed. The Smiths however get fed special loads. I'd but any of the three you mentioned in a heartbeat. . . heck just get all three. ;)

Viking 03-04-2010 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 239786)
One of the few guns I regret trading away was my early 80s stainless Security Six. These are great revolvers...

I had one of these in 6", in a way I'm sorry I traded it away as well. They were extremely well built, I just wanted to go to .44 mag revolvers otherwise I'd probably still own it.

superc 03-05-2010 06:12 PM

I love my Service-Six. It was one of the best revolvers I ever carried back in the .38 only days. Far stronger than the Smiths or the Colts of the same caliber. Durn easy to take apart for cleaning too. Available in stainless steel so I could wear it in the rain and not have to take it apart after each dunking. Nice trigger too.

Here is the way it was supposed to go:

Uniformed Police got the Service Six with fixed sights being the only option.

Plain clothes guys (and gals) got the rounded corners of the Speed Six with a short barrel being the most common option.

Target shooters and Sport Shooters got the Security Six which was available in several barrel lengths.