Older revolvers.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Older revolvers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Older revolvers.

9mm revolvers, and break open revolvers, I know they did exist at one point in time. The break opens if any are still made are all models of something fairly old. My question is, how much would either one cost? What were the problems with break-open style revolvers, and 9mm revolvers? There aren't any in shops, I am assuming there is a problem with them or their usage is not comparable to today's standards of other rounds. This would be for collection only, I don't ever plan to shoot something like this, if there are so many problems.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

The "break opens" were not strong enough as the development of gunpowder went forward. That is when they experiment with the top strap revolver we see today.

On the 9mm, yes, there were some made, but the 9mm was designed originally for a semi-auto. The interest of having a 9mm revolver was not enough to continue manufacture.

Some "break tops" have come back and are mainly geared towards the Single Action Shooters Society and their competitions. Some will become part of private collections, but the same reason for their demise is still there. They are limited on the pressure that can be taken by the handgun overall. The weak part is the clasp that keeps the cylinder in line with the hammer.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

The problem with break top revolvers has always been strength. The action just wouldn't stand up to today's magnum loads without being huge. I think Uberti makes a S&W Schofield replica. As for 9mm revolvers - why? Ruger made some but I suspect it was a tiny market and not profitable.

Use Gunbroker to check prices (completed auctions)...

Old 08-24-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

who sez that great mind don't think alike. Both answers at 12:35

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #5

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a Beretta Laramie .45 which is a copy of the S&W Model 3 top break. The manual specifically says not to use +P ammo because of the lack of frame strength. Otherwise it is a terrific shooting revolver. The 9mm is a rimless cartridge so one of the problems was that you either had to use moon clips or have it head space on the case mouth, too much trouble for a revolver in a caliber that is little better than a good .38 Special.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve666 View Post
I have a Beretta Laramie .45 which is a copy of the S&W Model 3 top break. The manual specifically says not to use +P ammo because of the lack of frame strength. Otherwise it is a terrific shooting revolver. The 9mm is a rimless cartridge so one of the problems was that you either had to use moon clips or have it head space on the case mouth, too much trouble for a revolver in a caliber that is little better than a good .38 Special.
That is a really pretty revolver you have there!

Old 08-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Not trying to hijack a thread but I don't understand the interst in 9mm revolvers or 45acp revolvers for that matter. I like revolvers, don't get me wrong but the 9mm doesn't do near enough for me to want it in a revolver. The 45 does more for me personally but again, don't see the point. 357 and 44 seem to fill both voids.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #8

I'd like to have a .45 ACP revolver again as I have lots of ammo and they are a hoot to shoot. At one time I had a pair of S&W 625s (3 & 5 inch) and traded them away - I do stupid things sometimes...

Old 08-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #9

That revolver is really nice. I was more specifically looking for a break-top for .45 colt. I know finding these things because of the lack of strength from these older and outdated guns wasn't very helpful for their use maybe in cowboy days, but I am not sure. I will check gun broker to see if anyone has something for sale. I haven't found any price for these yet; I'll look probably a bit later when work is slowed down.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Uberti makes several versions in modern calibers.

Uberti Top Break: No. 3 New Model Russian, No. 3 2nd Model

New Model Russian in .45 Colt.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball