Old Ammo-too old to shoot.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Old Ammo-too old to shoot.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Default Old Ammo-too old to shoot.

Ok folks, hear is the questions( no I don't know Everything, no one does). FIL left me and the Mz. Some old ammo,..probably from the 1960's. 2boxes of 38Spl. And 1 box of 38S&W. What models shoot the S&W round, and what does the ammo cost today in that caliber? Is it worth picking up an older gun that can chamber that ammo and shoot it.( for fun or in Comp.)?

On the 38Spl. Even if 40 years old( does not look rusted at all) can we shoot this ammo( not +P) in any modern Revolver?

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #2

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
On the 38Spl. Even if 40 years old( does not look rusted at all) can we shoot this ammo( not +P) in any modern Revolver?
I have shot 38 spl ammo older than 40 years in a modern revolver. To do this, I was:

1. Assured to myself that it was factory ammo, and not someone's unknown reload, and

2. The cartridge looked good in all respects - no signs of corrosion, pitting of the case or compromised integrity in any way.

I actually shot a vintage WW I .45 ACP round in a modern revolver not too long ago. I was a hang fire with a bit of a delayed detonation. But it definitely went bang........

Old 03-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Ok great, thanks. We have plenty of Centerfire Ammo, but these two boxes are def, from the late 60's..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 586

You can shoot 38 S&W in the 38 spl or 357 mag revolvers. The 38 spl is a hotter load and about 1/8" longer than the 38 S&W just like the 357 is a little longer than the 38 spl. This was done to prevent the hotter loads from being fired in the weaker guns. I have factory ammo from the 70's that shoots very well.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #5

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
You can shoot 38 S&W in the 38 spl or 357 mag revolvers.
No, JTJ they are too fat to even fit in the chamber. You were thinking of 38 short colt shells.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

rjd3282 Likes This 
Old 03-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 206 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
You can shoot 38 S&W in the 38 spl or 357 mag revolvers. The 38 spl is a hotter load and about 1/8" longer than the 38 S&W just like the 357 is a little longer than the 38 spl. This was done to prevent the hotter loads from being fired in the weaker guns. I have factory ammo from the 70's that shoots very well.
Maybe-----

38 S&W is NOT "in the same family" as 38 Special. The baby of the 38
Special bunch based on case dimensions is the 38 Short Colt.

38 S&W uses a larger diameter case, and in it's original loading used a bullet
that was roughly .003 larger in diameter that 38 Spl.

It may or may not chamber in a 38 Spl. gun, and the pressure may be higher
because of the larger bullet.

38 S&W was originally for small (usually top break) pistols by S&W and others
in the 1800's. It also fits some Webley and Enfield revolvers, and several swing out cylinder models by several manufacturers. It's headed toward
obsolete---no one I know of currently makes a gun in 38 S&W.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #7

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

38 S&W cases are a larger diameter than 38 special. They will not fit in the chamber of a 38 special. I reload for both.

Old cartridges are a crap shoot. I would not be afraid to fire them if they are not corroded and are factory ammo. But I had some WWII 8MM Mauser ammo that I got with a rifle of the same. But when I tried to shoot the ammo I had to hit each primer 3 or 4 times to get it to go bang. My new handloads went bang every time. So it was definitely the ammo. I ended up breaking down all the old ammo and using the powder and bullets in new cases.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #8

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

New 38 S&W ammo is very hard to come by. I would not buy a gun to be able to shoot a box of ammo. If you want an old gun just because you want it, that is different. But if you don't reload you may never be able to shoot the gun again unless you get lucky and find some ammo on the internet.

I would not be surprised if you could sell that box of ammo for top dollar.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:14 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Maybe-----

38 S&W is NOT "in the same family" as 38 Special. The baby of the 38
Special bunch based on case dimensions is the 38 Short Colt.

38 S&W uses a larger diameter case, and in it's original loading used a bullet
that was roughly .003 larger in diameter that 38 Spl.

It may or may not chamber in a 38 Spl. gun, and the pressure may be higher
because of the larger bullet.

38 S&W was originally for small (usually top break) pistols by S&W and others
in the 1800's. It also fits some Webley and Enfield revolvers, and several swing out cylinder models by several manufacturers. It's headed toward
obsolete---no one I know of currently makes a gun in 38 S&W.
I have seen 38 S&W fired in a 38 spl but maybe he had a larger than normal cylinder bore . I did check my loading book and you are right it is larger in diameter. Case is .007 larger and bullet is .003 larger. Rim is the same at .440

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 03-07-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:46 PM   #10

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
... I would not be surprised if you could sell that box of ammo for top dollar.
That's a good point! Definitely see if any of that old ammo has more collector value than just using it as throw away range ammo.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.