ok im sorry i just cant stand the .38 special - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > ok im sorry i just cant stand the .38 special

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have only had to use it once, I carry a small axe for just that. One hard blow to the back of the neck will do the job quickly. Do not like to shoot anything point blank. I for one do not want a round deflected back to me or a bystander.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #22

Default defend myself lol

ha lol ok u guys are definately gun nuts in the best way.
allow my to further elaborate on my firearm choices. the sks is not in my opinion a very gun hunting weapon of large game.Although the sks was enough gun i simply dont prefer it. The taurus revolver also not a favorite of mine although ive never had a problem with thier revolvers. The ammo was practice stuff i think and i was only about 13 and in the follies of youth, although my shooting was pretty good. one shot entered the sinus at a downward angle from about eight yards and didnt make it all the way home. and as far as the knife goes that was the final result of that situation. a gun is a precise modern tool and with it comes some detachment you must admit. i truly hope to see no creatures lifeblood on my blade and ive had that with my since i can remember. sorry to be cheesy. Some definate experts in here though ill be asking you lots of questions probably.
thanks yall

Old 01-26-2010, 11:17 PM   #23

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Well JcashMan, you took that well.

Welcome to level II.

Just up your arsenal.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-27-2010, 02:11 AM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

If you are condeming the 38 as inefectual against a deers skull then throw in a 12 guage with slugs. I shot a car hit fawn mule deer in the head with a 12 guage slug at 5' with the deer not even blinking. Had to put another round into to make it lay down. Not the shotguns fault but the operator of the gun, I missed the brain by a couple inches and she didnt even blink. So much for knockdown power. While working as a big game guide I carried a 2" 38 as a finishing off gun. Once the deer or elk was dead I would prop them up and test different loads from my chief special. On elk a hard cast 158 grn would travel broadside through the lungs and stick in the skin on the off side. Most lightweight 110-125 grain hp ammo would break ribs on either entry or exit side of a mule deer and would be mushroomed on skin of off side. The dozen or so deer and elk I shot in the head all penatrated to the brain with hard cast 158 grain bullets.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcashMan View Post
But i think that using an older but well made colt or smith in standard .38 special in defense of your life would be a mistake
whatcha got revolver folks?

thanks for input y'all
Tell you what I'll do. I'll shoot you in the chest with a standard velocity .38 Spl 158 grn JHP from my 70's vintage Colt Detective Special and then you
let me know if I made a mistake using it.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:26 AM   #26

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex1310 View Post
Tell you what I'll do. I'll shoot you in the chest with a standard velocity .38 Spl 158 grn JHP from my 70's vintage Colt Detective Special and then you
let me know if I made a mistake using it.
Now that's just wrong.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #27

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I shot a 200lbs doe this season with my 357 using hand-load Hornady 158gr HP-XTPs at 65 yards. Shot it through both lungs and heart then broke a rib on exit. The doe ran 100 yards then collapsed. When I got up to it I shot it in the head a foot away just to make sure. Bullet went right through.

The energy at the muzzle with those rounds is 505ft.-lb., a 38 round with 125gr HP-XTPs is about half that. Even at 150 yards the 158s out of the 357 have a bit more energy.

The right tools for the job.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #28

Liked 57 Times on 44 Posts

When I was a young police officer in Chicago our issue revolver ammo was 158 grn lead round nose. After a lot of incidents requiring multiple hits they went to the Winchester 38 +P 158 grn LHP, what a difference. This was and still is a great defensive load. Now that I'm long retired I still use that load in my J frames and LCR when I carry a small revolver during the warm summer months. As with any handgun cartridge, bullet placement is paramount.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:59 AM   #29
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag318 View Post
When I was a young police officer in Chicago our issue revolver ammo was 158 grn lead round nose. After a lot of incidents requiring multiple hits they went to the Winchester 38 +P 158 grn LHP, what a difference. This was and still is a great defensive load. Now that I'm long retired I still use that load in my J frames and LCR when I carry a small revolver during the warm summer months. As with any handgun cartridge, bullet placement is paramount.
Yep, ya gotta hit the target...

Old 02-02-2010, 02:50 AM   #30

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

So after reading this thread, am I right in feeling confident with .38+p hydrashox as my daily defensive round?

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com