Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > ok im sorry i just cant stand the .38 special

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 01:01 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Sks with good hunting ammo is plenty for whitetail if you know your limits, been there and have done that.And it sounds like you bought your 38 special ammo same place you bought your 7.62x39 ammo. I have never finished off a deer with 38, but I have killed a few pigs with one, and they were on the hoof not wounded. For deer I have finished one that was hit by a car, with a 22 long rifle out of a pistol, and a couple that I shot with buckshot with a knife.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:15 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8336 Times on 3605 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

Have administered coup de grace to deer with .22 LR pistol, and dropped a bull Hereford with a .38 Special Super Vel from a 4" Model 10. The SKS with proper ammo and shot placement is more than adequate for deer.

I do deer hunt with a .357- but that one has a 10 inch bbl, and heavy handload solids. But for personal defense, in most settings, I carry a Mdl 36 in .38 Special, loaded w/ Golden Sabers. But if I am ever attacked by a deer, I may have a problem.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:16 AM   #13

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

This is a joke post right? I agree an sks with the right ammo will kill a deer. But I am sure you were not using said ammo but using cheap mil surp ammo which is FMJ and glides threw a body like a red hot knife through butter.

I think you might have been better off turning the gun on yourself as to save the rest of the responsible shooters and hunters out there having to defend your ignorant butt from non-hunters and shooters.

Sorry I can handle stupid (They just can't help it) you were ignorant of just about everything needed to go to the field and harvest a deer. These are the people I can't stand.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:34 AM   #14

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I am not sure about the 7.62x39 but thats just because here in CO we use things like a 30-06. As far as the 38 special I carried one for years as a truck gun and have finsihed off more then one muley in a human manor. I only 2 years ago went to a 9mm as a tuck gun.(I travel back roads in the mountains a lot and see a lot of deer hit). I wonder if it is just the ammo you were using or angle that you were shooting on. I know that when its a head shot you need to be upclose and personal on the flat with the skull to do it quicky and humanly. Sorry for the bad experience for you and the animal both!! I know that all hunters want to respect the animal and strive for the best quick kill possible.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I hate to pound on you since everyone else has done an excellent job, but... you made some bad choices. .38 SPL is a good weapon, but not for what you did. You really should have had at least a .357 Magnum. I carry a .44 Magnum (when I hunt) and one shot would have taken care of business.

I conceal carry a .38 SPL often and it's perfect this.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #16

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

38 spec killin badguys since 1902.

HUH must be something good about it to be around for 108 years. I dunno just me.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
38 spec killin badguys since 1902.

HUH must be something good about it to be around for 108 years. I dunno just me.
I dunno either Tango... I guess that just ain't enough provin' time.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #18

Liked 112 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 36

What I did this last hunting season(knowing I am unexperienced)is a took more than enough gun for the game(whitetail).I went out with a newly aquired .444 marlin.I got a shot at a big doe-I took the shot and missed the vitals by about 2 feet!I hit near the spine above the stomach and she went down instantly.Did I need a finishing shot?-No!She was eyes glazed over within 90 seconds of the shot.As for using a .38 for a headshot-the .38 is just too slow of a round to do that.You would be way better off using a .22 mag revolver because it has the velocity you need to crack the skull-but at the same time,the .38 is a better man stopper than the .22 mag.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2557 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Not much of a deer hunter but I have killed some deer. One wounded spike w/a broken leg was dispatched with an aluminum PR-24 (side handle baton). One good shot behind the ear and he was kaput. Another (pregnant doe) had been "dispatched" by another officer who called for the road crew to pick up the carcass. When they got there, she was still alive. The first shot from a .40 Gold Dot had apparently stunned her but glanced off the skull likely from a poor angle and inexperienced officer. One shot to the base of the skull with a .38 Spl 158 gr SWC finished her off mercifully. The sad part was to see the near term fawn moving around inside her after her death. Robo no like to see suffering.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Dear lord that's awful.

Thank god I've never hit a deer. I've hit 2 cats and had to finish them and I lost sleep over that. I don't even really like cats. Couldn't imagine anything more than that.

I guess I got a big soft spot for the furry kinds. People, eh. . .