Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > NOT cleaning stainless steel revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got mine a while ago, at Cabela's. I imagine it's available many other places too, but I haven't gone looking for it. The one I use looks like this...

Old 11-14-2010, 12:53 AM   #22
Lee

Default I leave the ring

The reason I bought my S&W .44 mag in stainless (Mod. 629-4) was to avoid endless cleaning. I scrub the barrel interior and cylinder face with Hoppe's No.9 using brass brushes only to the point of removing powder residue. Then I give it a shot of brake cleaner to remove the Hoppe's, relube the works, coat the barrel interior with Danzac and then wipe down with a flannel treated with Break Free CLP and Marvel Mystery Oil. While the Danzac was sold with the idea of increasing bullet velocity by reducing friction during it's pass through the barrel, this was found to be insignificant in handguns. On the other hand, it pays huge dividends in reducing leading/coppering. Huge. My cleaning time was reduced to a quarter of what I had to go through in the past. The MMO was added to my CLP treated rag after I saw how it kept my tablesaw from rusting over the winter back when my garage was my woodshop. Besides, it smells nice.

An armed society is a polite society.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:29 AM   #23

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

+1 on all you people suggesting Flitz.

I went and tried it again with a bit more commitment. I diluted the Flitz a little just to be extra careful against using anything too abrasive. Just used some Q-tips and then wiped away with a clean soft rag.

The flash burn rings started to rub off. Attached is the chamber face of my Ruger GP100. The left side still has the ugly stains, and the right side of the cylinder which has had the carbonized stains removed.

Then some Break Free for a final cleaning and a touch of gun oil.

I'll also try those Kleenbore Lead Away wipes when they arrive.

Well, no excuse now to have an ugly revolver!

Thanks everyone!

flitzed.jpg  

Old 11-15-2010, 06:51 AM   #24
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8052

Alright, I'm convinced. I'm on the search for some Flitz.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #25

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Alright, I'm convinced. I'm on the search for some Flitz.
Try the cutlery/knife store in the mall if you can't find it at your local gun store.

Else, get it off eBay.

I have the one that is a paste and comes in a toothpast like tube. I don't think you have to dilute it. I just did to be extra cautious. If you use a cotton swab it will start to go black as you rub at the carbon stain. Just keep rubbing in the direction of the machining marks with a bit of light pressure and the carbonization will slowly fade away.

Last edited by misterballistic; 11-15-2010 at 08:09 AM.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #26
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8052

Thanks. I'm definitely going to do that. When I first saw the carbon stains on the cylinder of my gun I was a little disappointed. But then I realized it was just the sign that my gun is being used. I don't really mind the stains as I know my gun is clean but if I can easily remove those stains and get her shining bright again, I'd be thrilled.