NOT cleaning stainless steel revolver
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > NOT cleaning stainless steel revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 06:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default NOT cleaning stainless steel revolver

I got my first stainless steel revolver and got the ol' ring of powder burns by the cylinder chambers after firing it. That's okay as it was expected.

I've Googled on "how to clean it" to death and it seems that most methods people suggest to get rid of the ring involves mild abrasives like polishes...even erasers!

Another camp of people say to just leave it alone because you don't want to unnecessarily take off ANY steel even if it's just on the surface.

Of course, I did wipe it and gently scour it with a soft toothbrush dipped in Hoppes 9 then lightly wipe it with a silicone cloth just to get rid of any grit and grime.

Is there any harm in leaving the burn rings be?

Thanks!

MB

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Some discoloration is normal as this area is subjected to lots of heat. All I do is scrub with a toothbrush and solvent to make sure there's no real buildup of residue. If it gets bad, pop off the cylinder and let it soak in solvent...

Old 11-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7100 Times on 4273 Posts
Likes Given: 8607

My only gun is a stainless steel revolver and that happened to my gun, too. I just consider it normal wear from use. But I think some people recommended to me a 'lead cloth'. I was told not to use it on a blued gun because it will remove the bluing but it is okay to use it on a stainless steel gun. I have come across a 'lead cloth' yet to buy one but here is a link to it.

Tipton Metal Magic Rust and Lead Remover Gun Cleaning Cloth - MidwayUSA

Old 11-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use a brass brush (like a toothbrush) with bore cleaner and it does a pretty good job removing the residue without impacting the steel.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 11-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

"Lead Away" cloth helps. Some discoloration is just a natural occurrence.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #6

I've been using 0000 steel wool soaked in solvent. Works great, doesn't harm the finish at all. Also use it to blend touch up blueing.

"THE CONSTITUTION ONLY GIVES PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS, YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF." ~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:11 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge based on all your combined experiences (which far exceed mine), I think I'll just let it be for now. As long as it doesn't affect the gap between the cylinder and the barrel then I'm fine with it.

If I come across Lead Away maybe I'll give it a try. I also hear that a household cleaner called Barkeeper's Friend is recommended as a non-abrasive cleaner for cleaning stainless steel pots and pans that get heat burned. Not sure how well it works. I'll also try Googling what motorcyclists use to polish discolored exhaust tips.

Mostly, I'll worry about cosmetics, and shining 'er up, if I ever decide to sell it - a stainless GP100 in .357with 4 inch barrel. Highly unlikely because, wow, is it fun to shoot. Sorry, but I find my semi-autos are boring to shoot now!

Last edited by misterballistic; 11-10-2010 at 04:26 AM.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:37 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
I use a brass brush (like a toothbrush) with bore cleaner and it does a pretty good job removing the residue without impacting the steel.
That's exactly what I do

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 11-10-2010, 05:15 AM   #9

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts

I just use the lead remover cloth. 5 seconds of rubbing and its gone.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Old 11-10-2010, 05:34 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Okay you guys sold me on trying Lead Away. It seems to be non-abrasive.

I'll give it a try and post the results.

THANKS!