Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   NOT cleaning stainless steel revolver (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/not-cleaning-stainless-steel-revolver-34149/)

misterballistic 11-09-2010 06:47 AM

NOT cleaning stainless steel revolver

I got my first stainless steel revolver and got the ol' ring of powder burns by the cylinder chambers after firing it. That's okay as it was expected.

I've Googled on "how to clean it" to death and it seems that most methods people suggest to get rid of the ring involves mild abrasives like polishes...even erasers!

Another camp of people say to just leave it alone because you don't want to unnecessarily take off ANY steel even if it's just on the surface.

Of course, I did wipe it and gently scour it with a soft toothbrush dipped in Hoppes 9 then lightly wipe it with a silicone cloth just to get rid of any grit and grime.

Is there any harm in leaving the burn rings be?

Thanks!

MB

NGIB 11-09-2010 09:15 AM

Some discoloration is normal as this area is subjected to lots of heat. All I do is scrub with a toothbrush and solvent to make sure there's no real buildup of residue. If it gets bad, pop off the cylinder and let it soak in solvent...

winds-of-change 11-09-2010 10:11 AM

My only gun is a stainless steel revolver and that happened to my gun, too. I just consider it normal wear from use. But I think some people recommended to me a 'lead cloth'. I was told not to use it on a blued gun because it will remove the bluing but it is okay to use it on a stainless steel gun. I have come across a 'lead cloth' yet to buy one but here is a link to it.

Tipton Metal Magic Rust and Lead Remover Gun Cleaning Cloth - MidwayUSA

Missileman 11-09-2010 04:35 PM

I use a brass brush (like a toothbrush) with bore cleaner and it does a pretty good job removing the residue without impacting the steel.

CA357 11-09-2010 04:51 PM

"Lead Away" cloth helps. Some discoloration is just a natural occurrence.

NYPD13 11-09-2010 06:28 PM

I've been using 0000 steel wool soaked in solvent. Works great, doesn't harm the finish at all. Also use it to blend touch up blueing.

misterballistic 11-10-2010 02:11 AM

Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge based on all your combined experiences (which far exceed mine), I think I'll just let it be for now. As long as it doesn't affect the gap between the cylinder and the barrel then I'm fine with it.

If I come across Lead Away maybe I'll give it a try. I also hear that a household cleaner called Barkeeper's Friend is recommended as a non-abrasive cleaner for cleaning stainless steel pots and pans that get heat burned. Not sure how well it works. I'll also try Googling what motorcyclists use to polish discolored exhaust tips.

Mostly, I'll worry about cosmetics, and shining 'er up, if I ever decide to sell it - a stainless GP100 in .357with 4 inch barrel. Highly unlikely because, wow, is it fun to shoot. Sorry, but I find my semi-autos are boring to shoot now!

mesinge2 11-10-2010 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missileman (Post 383380)
I use a brass brush (like a toothbrush) with bore cleaner and it does a pretty good job removing the residue without impacting the steel.

That's exactly what I do

Dr. Marneaus 11-10-2010 05:15 AM

I just use the lead remover cloth. 5 seconds of rubbing and its gone.

misterballistic 11-10-2010 05:34 AM

Okay you guys sold me on trying Lead Away. It seems to be non-abrasive.

I'll give it a try and post the results.

THANKS!