New to site and looking for answers - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > New to site and looking for answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 270 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Your "New Model Army" .44 with 7 1/2" octagon barrel is not a replica of any actual historic revolver. All the Colt Army Models had round barrels. The Dragoon models were called Army Models at the time, later Old Model Army to differentiate it from the 1860 Army Model.

Possibly this could pass as a reproduction of a Southern made copy of a Colt, as I believe Dance Brothers made an 1851 Navy look-alike in .44 Caliber.

As to date of manufacture, it would be hard to say. These Spanish made guns started coming into the country around 1960 or so, as Civil War Centennials were coming into vogue and re-enactment groupps began searching for firing replicas. I believe Dixie Gun Works, of Union City, Tennessee, was one of the pioneers in the importation of these guns.

Bob Wright

WHOA! In my haste I neglected entirely the fact that what you may have is a replica of an 1858 Remington New Model Army. If you gun has the top strap then that is what you have. I jumped the gun,literally, in assuming it was a copy of the Colt. I sincerly beg you pardon.

Last edited by Bob Wright; 05-15-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:14 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New to site and looking for answers

What you have sounds like the Remington reproduction from Santa Barbara. These guys have been around since the 1500s and are the primary weapons producers for the Spanish military. They stopped making the Remington 1858 model around 20 to 25 years ago. They are the best of the reproductions and are far superior to the Italian reproductions (I know since I have both). The Santa Barbara uses very strong steel (ordinance steel?) and these models come in 3 different types (fully engraved, partial engraved and plain non-engraved). These are the best reproductions that are out there. Do a Google search and you will find a lot more data on this piece.