New Single Action....... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > New Single Action.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 270 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Those were the days. I used to go thru the Hy Hunter ads every month. Back then you could order handguns thru the U.S. Mail. Anyway was this the same as Hawes Western Marshall?
Not too sure if exactly the same, think trigger guard and backstrap of Western Marshal were brass? Any way only cosmetic changes, I think.

Bob Wright
Old 11-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #12

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Pawnshops in this area suck. Most of their used guns actually cost more than I could purchase the same gun new. After a few hundred trips one tends to just keep riding. They also grade the guns very poorly. If it's all in one piece it's graded as in new condition.

A couple years ago a local pawnshop that has fair ammo prices had the exact 20 ga Mossberg I was looking for. The gun was priced at $215, it was in fair condition. They called it like new condition. I could get the same gun for $215 NIB. I had to go to that area a few days later so I brought my Mossberg that is in new condition. I compared it to their gun and started picking it apart. The Pawnshops response was to call me unrealistic. Yet, I had a 15 year old well cared for gun to show them. Usually when a seller calls a buyer unrealistic, it's the seller that is unrealistic.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-15-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #13

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The Fast Draw craze of the 1960s created a demand for single action handguns. Many imports and the Great Western revolvers were marketed. This was also the birth of the Ruger 6 guns. Colt offered the Scout revolvers which never really caught on. The Colt New Frontier a work of art but was never chambered for the new .44 magnums.
Cowboy shooting has brought back many of the single action classics.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 309 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 138

I looked hard at Colt new frontier 22 LR/ Mag. Combo but went w Rugers single six. Colt w have been a better investment.

Single actions tend to recoil up vs double actions seem to recoil right back at you. Just watch a few youtubes of people getting whacked in the head.... Enough said...?

Old 11-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #15

Liked 270 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Single actions tend to recoil up vs double actions seem to recoil right back at you. Just watch a few youtubes of people getting whacked in the head.... Enough said...?
I appreciate the warning, but I've put enough rounds through single actions to know how to avoid that problem.

Bob Wright