Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   New S&W 637-2 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/new-s-w-637-2-a-101704/)

lucznik 12-18-2013 12:01 AM

New S&W 637-2

1 Attachment(s)
Needed a "pocket pistol." Came down to a choice of a .38 S&W 637 and a .40 Kahr MK40.

It was a really close decision but the typical-for-Smith & Wesson awesome trigger and the higher probability that my wife will ne able to successfully operate this gun tipped the scales in the revolver's favor.

ninjatoth 12-18-2013 12:13 AM

Nice. I've always wanted one but never got around to getting one, I love the little hammer vs. no hammer, and I love .38's in general. I'm getting a Ruger sp101 asap just for the love of subbies and .38spl as a caliber, I am getting an sp101 over the s&w mainly because it's gonna be one I want to shoot a lot and leave home a lot, but the s&w is nice too.

JimRau 12-18-2013 12:34 AM

I had a choice of the 637 or the 642 and I chose and HIGHLY recommend the 642. It is snag free (no hammer spur). It can be fired inside a pocket (all five rounds). You can not 'cock' the hammer (single action mode) so the user will be MUCH safer if forced to use it (MUCH lower probability of unintentional discharge).;)

lucznik 12-18-2013 12:38 AM

The .38 was a hard choice for me because I've always figured, "Why buy a .38 when you can get a .357 Mag and shoot both?"

However, in this case, the .38 is to fill a specific "pocket pistol" niche and I think shooting Mags from a barrel this short would result in a lot of extra flash and noise with only marginal terminal improvement.

lucznik 12-18-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimRau
I had a choice of the 637 or the 642 and I chose and HIGHLY recommend the 642. It is snag free (no hammer spur). It can be fired inside a pocket (all five rounds). You can not 'cock' the hammer (single action mode) so the user will be MUCH safer if forced to use it (MUCH lower probability of unintentional discharge).;)

Jim,

I understand your points but, I don't know that I really agree with them. It's just personal preference things. I have been practicing drawing from my pocket all day and I've yet to snag anything. I haven't tried but, I think I could fire all five rounds from a pocket though, I don't know why I would want to. Such shooting is definitely un-aimed which seems to violate one of the standard gun-handling rules. I REALLY hate DAO triggers. I would not intentionally own a true DAO gun. Even the not-truly-DAO striker-fired trigger on my Glock drives me nuts. I'd trade that gun for a 3rd Gen 6904/6906/4013 without even a second thought.

If my choice had been a 642 or the MK40, I'd have a Kahr in my pocket right now.

Mercator 12-18-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucznik (Post 1461383)
Needed a "pocket pistol." Came down to a choice of a .38 S&W 637 and a .40 Kahr MK40.

It was a really close decision but the typical-for-Smith & Wesson awesome trigger and the higher probability that my wife will ne able to successfully operate this gun tipped the scales in the revolver's favor.

Either one is a good choice if your pocket is deep enough, literally. I also carry a J frame, but I am surprised you found its trigger awesome compared to the Kahr. (Apples to apples, it should be the DA pull in comparison) I agree with JimRau, for the stated purpose forget the SA mode, except when shooting for money at the range.

lucznik 12-18-2013 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercator
Either one is a good choice if your pocket is deep enough, literally. I also carry a J frame, but I am surprised you found its trigger awesome compared to the Kahr. (Apples to apples, it should be the DA pull in comparison) I agree with JimRau, for the stated purpose forget the SA mode, except when shooting for money at the range.

The Kahr's trigger, like with all striker-fired guns, was mushy. The Smith's, while heavier, is remarkably smoother and thus, easier to stage. The Smith's single action trigger is, of course, excellent.

JW357 12-18-2013 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucznik (Post 1461417)
The .38 was a hard choice for me because I've always figured, "Why buy a .38 when you can get a .357 Mag and shoot both?"

However, in this case, the .38 is to fill a specific "pocket pistol" niche and I think shooting Mags from a barrel this short would result in a lot of extra flash and noise with only marginal terminal improvement.

I was going to ask why you didn't get a .357 Magnum for a little more versatility, even if you always shoot .38s in it. You answered my question.

Congratulations on the new gun. I'm sure you'll love her. At some point in the relatively near future I'll get a pocket wheel gun. Probably in .357 but to each his own.

For what its worth,I've heard excellent things about the Speer Gold Dots short barrelled formula rounds.

JimRau 12-18-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucznik (Post 1461427)
Jim,

I understand your points but, I don't know that I really agree with them. It's just personal preference things. I have been practicing drawing from my pocket all day and I've yet to snag anything. I haven't tried but, I think I could fire all five rounds from a pocket though, I don't know why I would want to. Such shooting is definitely un-aimed which seems to violate one of the standard gun-handling rules. I REALLY hate DAO triggers. I would not intentionally own a true DAO gun. Even the not-truly-DAO striker-fired trigger on my Glock drives me nuts. I'd trade that gun for a 3rd Gen 6904/6906/4013 without even a second thought.

If my choice had been a 642 or the MK40, I'd have a Kahr in my pocket right now.

My recommendations come from real life incidents I have either witnessed or been directly involved in. There have been several incidents when I had a 640 (same as the 642 but all SS) in my jacket pocket ready to fire with several 'bandits' present. I am glad I did not need to fire but if I had it would have saved my life. I did have one friend of mine who did have to fire his 640 several times while he had it in his jacket pocket and it saved his life.
I am also an instructor and it is common sense to put a DAO in a civilians hands for self defense because it is: 1. Less complicated. 2. It is much safer when the person does not 'cock' the hammer.:)
It is also common sense that the model with a covered hammer/striker is MUCH less likely to snag when drawn, especially for a pocket carry.
I too agree with your preference of the 59/69 series S&W over the Glocks. :D

ninjatoth 12-18-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucznik (Post 1461417)

Put a hardcast .38 wadcutter in there and the bad guy isn't going to complain that you didn't have a .357 when they go down.