the new S&W 460 XVR

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > the new S&W 460 XVR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 04:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default the new S&W 460 XVR

Im looking at the new performance center 460 xvr in the 14 inch barrel configuration. My uncle has the 460xvr performance center 10 incher and man is the gun the most perfect handgun for hunting, we have a TC encore pistol and yes its has its pros over the S&W its more accurate shooting a 308 round and you can achieve longer ranges and so on and so forth. I love both guns but the thing about the 460 is the 5 shots i get besides 1 so i can do follow up shots plus the overall quality of the S&W beats the TC ENCORE, i been using the Desert Eagle and its great perfect balance for follow up shots, plenty knock down power, only issue is limited accuracy and range. We only need 100 yards max for most the areas to shoot but sometimes deer present themselves a bit further. Just wondering how some of you guys view the new 14inch 460xvr and if you've shot it how is the accuracy and all, overall insight on it

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #2

Liked 278 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 31

My view of the 460 and the 500 s&w is I would never own one unless a state only allowed straight wall cartidges then it would be in a competition arms or T/C handgun. Even a encore rifle when you look at the weight of the 14' revolver carry'n that thing would be a pain..The S&W revolvers ain't all that any more. Quality can run all over the place. There prodution handguns 4 or 5 years ago were better than custom shop stuff today. I used an 8" DW 357 mag for 20 years on hogs up to all most 400lbs with no problems and now have a 44 mag DW with an 8" barrel and can toss a 340gr bullet at over 1400fps inside 3" group at 100 yards with a red dot sight. Maybe not up to 460 standards but thats enough for anything in the lower 48 states. and a bunch lighter and smaller. The 460 is kinda like carry'n a 375 rem ultra mag when a 308 is more than enough..

You did ask for opinions. hehe

Old 11-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #3

yeap I did ask for opinions and do enjoy hearing them... have not held the new 460 or seen it personaly I only see the typicals at the store would need to see if sometime soon I can find one so I can see it in person

Old 11-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Based on my limited experience with the Smith and Wesson 460, I would say if you have the money go ahead and get it. One of the big reasons I say this is, because the 460 can fire the .460 S&W cartridge, the .454 Cassull, .45 Colt, and .45 Schofield.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 11-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2270 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 668

Does it come with wheels and a serving crew? For the size and weight you might as well carry a light rifle. It probably would be easier. I could see a shorter barrel for dangerous game but 14" in a hand gun seems awkward. I do understand the concept of hunting with a handgun. There were times it would have been the best method and I did have a TC with a few 10" barrels. I also had a Ruger Redhawk with an 8" barrel although I never got the chance to hunt with them.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.