New revolver SP101 n Questions for Gurus
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > New revolver SP101 n Questions for Gurus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Default New revolver SP101 n Questions for Gurus

I have a few questions about revolvers…

I wandered in to a shop and got a great deal on a new Ruger sp101 with CTC grips on it in .357. It is the hammered version. Kind of debated on hammered or bobbed and went with the hammered. Been carrying it these last two weeks and find it great. Only shot it twice - once with the CTC’s n another time with a Hogue grip – it’s a keeper! My Kahr K9 is a little jealous lol!

Now I am jonesing for a larger frame and need some direction. One shopkeep treated me like an idiot and kept throwing Pythons (some day) and some really used looking K and N frames but went in to some screw number and how S&W makes junk now? I don’t believe this for an instant but what is the story on the screw in the hammer?

I was looking into the Ruger GP100 or a 4” S&W for a big sister to the sp101 – anyone with some pics, advice, or info to share from the world of revolver?

Did Taurus weapons years ago and tend to shy away from them.

This one would be for HD, non-carry, .357 mag with access to nice wood grips, good reputation.

Thanks crew!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-28-2010, 02:28 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Only thing I can tell you is to shoot it more. If you want to carry that weapon(a great pistol BTW, my wife is armed with one) you need to have more then 2 rounds behind the trigger with it. That SP or a GP with eat hot magnums for years to come.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-28-2010, 02:32 AM   #3

I meant two trips to the range not 2 rounds lol. I put about 120+ through it so far.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:42 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I am a dyed in the wool GP100 fan. I've had a number of both the 4" and 6" versions. If you want a .357 for HD, the 4" is easier to handle that the 6". The 6" is a bit unwieldy for inside and for quick reactions.

The older S&W's were wonderful revolvers. Great triggers and workmanship.

The new S&W models with the internal lock have detractors. Most folks just don't like the idea of an internal lock, myself included. It's just one more thing that can go wrong. In a SD/HD situation, I want the odds heavily in my favor.

That said, I haven't heard much about the S&W internal locks failing or screwing up.

If you want a good S&W, look at the 586/686 series of revolvers. The model 27 is another good one. (it's an N frame .357)

I like S&W's and have owned a bunch. Unfortunately, financial circumstances have left me with none at the present time. However, I have managed to keep my stainless 6" GP100 and it will never go away no matter what.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-28-2010, 02:43 AM   #5

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Hands down, this would be the 357 I'd buy while waiting on my Colt Python.

It's a S&W 27-2, P&R (pined and recessed) and looks like it has the target hammer and trigger. (Be sure to ask.)

This would be a good investment and can only appreciate if kept in good condition.

used Smith & Wesson 27-2 Nickel for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $799.00

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-28-2010, 02:43 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

BTW, the GP100's are considerably less money than the Smith's.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-28-2010, 02:44 AM   #7

@CA357 - you would put the Rugers on similar ground as S&W?

Old 04-28-2010, 02:52 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The S&W older models have a nicer trigger pull and are nicely made. They have nice lines too. The newer ones not as much, although they are still an excellent revolver.

The GP100's are the Abrams tanks of the revolver world. They'll shoot heavy magnum loads forever and your great grandchildren will be shooting them long after we're all gone. They aren't as graceful looking as the Smith's, but they are stout and dependable.

I like them both, but will always have a GP100.

I also like the look of the GP100's to me, they look stout and they are.

This is just my opinion, you asked.

BTW, you can change out the springs in the Ruger and have a very nice trigger pull. It's an easy swap.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:52 AM   #9

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_H View Post
@CA357 - you would put the Rugers on similar ground as S&W?
Not to answer your question Don, but I will.

I would have no problem buying a new Ruger over a new S&W.

When it comes to wheel guns, I like vintage and IMHO, the -2 Smiths are the most desirable. (Models 27 and 29)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-28-2010, 02:54 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I would love to have a Model 27 and another 629. I just don't have the dough.