New Revolver Owner
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > New Revolver Owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default New Revolver Owner

I just bought my first revolver, a S&W M29 .44 Magnum. While I'm waiting for it to show up I was wondering what ammunition everyone would recommend for the range?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #2

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Congrats on the new wheel gun! I haven't shot a 44mag in a bunch of years, it's a substantial caliber. You didn't mess around with your first. Don't know what to say about ammo except whatever is a good price for plinking/target, and better stuff for self defense.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 04-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have a 629 with a 2.5 inch barrel. Smooth as glass! Shoot .44 special mild loads for practice. Then always shoot a few .44 magnum light loads your hands will thank you.

You may also want to get a good quality defense load and get a feel for muzzle blast and recoil so if you use it for SD your not in shock by the blast (even though the firestorm is part of the fun!) yourself.

If you carry for cougar or bear heavy hunting loads. Believe me you won't worry about recoil or anything like that if the need arises to use your side arm!

Have fun, with proper grip and stance it's not a big deal.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #4

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I load my own ammo and I use the Hornady 240-grain XTP. For factory ammo I bought some of the Winchester white box stuff in 240-grain and it worked just fine. Walmart has the best prices on it.

If you are not used to a .44 mag be prepared for some serious recoil. My Ruger Super Blackhawk kicks like a mule but it is fun to shoot.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #5

Hehe, yeah. I'm expecting an eye opening experience when I first shoot it. I have always wanted one and just decided to go for the gold, well, almost. Still want a 500 Magnum at some point too. My nephew wants to shoot it, but I'm very hesitant. I told him, it's up to your parents. I should let your dad shoot it first and see what he thinks. He argues that I've let him shoot my 1911 .45 and I laughed and told him you're not even in the same ball park.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I thought it was interesting that all I can seem to find are hollow points. Do they not make FMJ for revolvers?

Old 04-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #6

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

This old 29-2, 4 inch .44 Mag has had 1,000s 0f rounds down the tube. I reload and cast my own bullets. 240 Kieth SWCs and Winchester 296 powder.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:37 AM   #7

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 230

FMJ are popular for automatics for easier feeding,not required in revolvers. Some indoor ranges use FMJ to reduce lead dust. Alot of revolver loads are lead. I would get at least one box of 44 spl's. Just to try.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:46 AM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Range use, .44 Special

PD/SD use, Buffalo Bore ANTI-PERSONNEL 44 MAG. Pistol and Handgun Ammo

ANTI-PERSONNEL 44 MAG.

Read the Overview.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
FMJ are popular for automatics for easier feeding,not required in revolvers. Some indoor ranges use FMJ to reduce lead dust. Alot of revolver loads are lead. I would get at least one box of 44 spl's. Just to try.
Ah, that makes sense. Still, it seems 99% of the rounds out there are hollow point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Range use, .44 Special

PD/SD use, Buffalo Bore ANTI-PERSONNEL 44 MAG. Pistol and Handgun Ammo

ANTI-PERSONNEL 44 MAG.

Read the Overview.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 04-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #10

Liked 383 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Congrats P, my first revolver was a Model 29 I bought in 1978. I'd start out and practice with .44spl as others here have suggested. Recoil with magnum loads is considerable but manageable. In other words, you should get used to it. Personally, I've found it's easier to deal with standing. Seated using sandbags and bench rest, it wants to come back and hit you in the head.