New revolver fo deer hunitng? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > New revolver fo deer hunitng?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I would handle both a double and single action revolvers and see what feels, points best to you; I personally think a single action points more naturally and transfers less recoil to the shooter. If you want to scope the pistol Ruger the Super Redhawk allows you to do that with a minimum of fuss and provides the rings with the pistol. Single action the Blackhawk Hunter does the same. The Super Blackhawk can be scope mounted but my friend had to have the frame drilled for the mount he chose.

As for caliber I would probably select the .44 first choice, .45 Colt if you hand load then the .41. If I was going the Double action the 480 Ruger and 454 Casuel would be considerations.

I have looked at the 460 and 500 Smiths and what I like about them is that Smith pulled out all the stops to produce the finest production revolver on the market. Other then that for me it is too darn big, heavy and definitely more power then what you need for deer hunting. If I needed something more then the what is available in a standard revolver I would go to one of the Thompson single shots.

All of the above assumes that you have some time behind a big bore handgun and are an experienced shooter. Experienced does not mean thet you can empty a high capacity 9mm magazine full of ammo in 4 seconds and sometimes hit a target at 15 yards. If not then go out and buy a .22 handgun first and learn how to shoot it. Once that is accomplished then get the big bore and become proficient with that and enjoy the sport.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #22

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Based on the theory that a panicked or angry 200 pound male mammal is a panicked or angry 200 pound male mammal I have tried many different government issued gun ammunition combinations on different deer hunts as a way of pre determining what to expect in other situations. .38 +P, +P+, .357 Silvertips, 9mm and .40 caliber Silvertip Federal, ..40 caliber, 45 ACP, etc. This continued through retirement. Blanket caveat, .45 bullets did best. Imagine that.

These days I use .45 Colt reloads. Around here the ranges tend to be short. 35 yards or less, but the deer get big. I have taken several that weigh more than me and I am over 220. If you are not forced by some one else's edict to use this or that brand of ammunition only, then by all means get into reloading if you are going to handgun hunt. My personal favorite hunting handguns are no longer made (a variant of Murphy's Law). An S&W M-25-5 which I fitted with a 4" bbl comes to mind as do my 1917s used with auto rim handloads. Actually most of them were shelved in favor of a tricked out Winchester Trapper Carbine, also in .45 Colt used with handloads I won't try in the Smith. If I was shopping for a new hunting handgun, I would go Ruger Redhawk, and be leaning towards a Bowen Alpine variant..

Old 03-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #23

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 237

I haven't looked at the regs for awhile but here in Oregon it had been any centerfire ammo from .22 on up for handguns used for deer hunting.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #24

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Is there a round mentioned above that isn't a centerfire round?

Old 03-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #25

I had a New Model Super Blackhawk Hunter model in .44Mag. It was stainless with 7.5 inch bull barrell and integral scope mounts. It came with a matched Simmons 2.5 power scope that Matched the finish of the stainless and Ruger Stainless Rings. That gun shot 1.5 inch groups (rested) at 100 yds. consistantly. I added Hogue Grips and LOVED that gun. Unfortunately It was stolen in '07 and I havent found another since. It really handled well and recoil management was no problem even for my wife.

I also have a Ruger .480 New Model Super Blackhawk. I havent shot it much yet as I bought it at the beginning of the Winter, But I'm looking forward to Spring.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #26

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Ruger Bisley is good!

Get one in 45 Colt and you have a killing machine that doesn't have to have the recoil of a 44 Mag. Also the Bisley grip is very good for recoil management. Read John Linebaugh's "Writings" section. Very informative and this is from a guy that invented the handcannon. here is the link Linebaugh's Custom Sixguns - The .45 Colt - Dissolving the Myth, Discovering the Legend. You can get the convertible with a 45 ACP cylinder, Ruger won't sell you a ACP cylinder. I have seen a few stainless Bisley convertibles on Guns America. If you want to do some custom work on your gun, there are numerous gunsmiths around. I have a friend who had his gun worked on by Charles Clements. I am having him open the throats on my Ruger 45 cylinder. They were a bit tight at .449" and .448". He is very affordable and some of his packages are really beautiful. He does it all!

Old 03-06-2010, 06:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by superc View Post
Is there a round mentioned above that isn't a centerfire round?
Not necessarily but someone mentioned state laws concerning minimim caliber for deer hunting with handguns. Other states might not have such a wide range of calibers which would narrow peoples choices.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #28

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My Redhawk has served me very well over the years as a woods gun, Dont hunt with it much but i have it every time i go "camping"

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 03-08-2010, 01:10 AM   #29

I was just thinking of the first time I saw my Redhawk in a gunshop display case, I just had to have it, this was just a few weeks after I had bought a beautiful looking used S&W mod 29 4". That was a very disappointing purchase due to the cylinder being so badly out of timing that the recovered bullets showed deep grove cutting at the front of the bullet on one side and deep grove cutting on the opposite side near the base of the bullet. It scared me to think what the pressures could have been. But it all turned out good, the guy I bought it from gave me back what I paid for a down payment on the Redhawk. The Redhawk has never let me down nor ever disappointed me, to me it's a handgun for life and the only way it will be separated from my possession, if I have anything to say about it, is when I become too old to shoot it anymore.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #30

Default want to buy

LOOKING TO BUY 454 SHR 9.5 INCH LET ME KNOW IF YOU GUY FIND ONE harshmancw@yahoo.com thanks.