Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   New revolver (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/new-revolver-98235/)

ZachRome 10-06-2013 07:13 AM

New revolver

I've never owned a revolver and dont really know a lot about them but I would really like to pick one up for my next purchase. What would be a good choice for my first revolver. Mostly for plinking and target practice (don't want a 22)

austin92 10-06-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachRome
I've never owned a revolver and dont really know a lot about them but I would really like to pick one up for my next purchase. What would be a good choice for my first revolver. Mostly for plinking and target practice (don't want a 22)

Ruger gp100 .357 magnum. Only revolver anyone should own. :rollseyes: lol. Seriously. I own a 4" and love it

Doc3402 10-06-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachRome (Post 1393793)

For what you want to do I would probably go with at least a 4 inch barrel, probably in a .38 Special. For plinking and target the 4 inch barrel will give you a longer sight radius and a little more accuracy at longer distances. This is compared to a typical snubbie used for concealed carry. A 6" will improve things even more.

As far as recommending a specific firearm, that ain't gonna happen unless you provide a lot more information. You haven't even told us what kind of targets you'll be using or whether you want single or double action.

steadyshot 10-06-2013 10:10 AM

I think the .357 revolver is the way to go as well. I own three. :)

Barney1023 10-06-2013 01:03 PM

+1 on the gp 100 4 or 6 inch barrel. Also u can pick up the blackhawks in 357 for a little less if u wanna go single action. Me personally I like the blackhawks.

Mercator 10-06-2013 02:05 PM

Hold, aim, and dry fire one before making a decision. One man's perfect grip angle and balance can be another man's POS.

Rick1967 10-06-2013 02:24 PM

Do you reload? If not 38/357 is the cheapest way to go. If you reload, ammo prices are all about the same. If you are a reloader I would be thinking 44 mag. As a reloader you could make ammo into anything you want. 38/357 can be loaded light or heavy too. But 44 can be loaded to shoot like a 22. It can also be loaded to shoot heavy bullets at speeds that would make you cry. However, if you don't reload 44 mag is incredibly expensive ammo.

I believe that anyone that shoots more than once every couple months could benefit from reloading.

JW357 10-06-2013 09:26 PM

I agree with Rick about reloading.

For me, I would steer you towards a .357 Magnum instead of a .38 Special. The .357 is more versatile because it can shoot both loads, which isn't true of the .38.

My preference is S&W, but just look around at LGS' and see what kinda good deals you can find. If you find a nice one that you fall in love with, I wouldn't worry too much if the grips aren't exactly right. You can replace grips on a revolver as easy as pie.

tomingreeneco 10-07-2013 03:07 AM

.357 would be my choice. Like everyone said you can go with light or heavy loads and also shoot .38. Think about a single action cowboy gun with a cross draw holster. The "fun factor" can't be overlooked.

nitestalker 10-07-2013 03:26 AM

If you have never owned a handgun a .22 rim fire is practical. Mastering a handgun is the more challenging of firearms. The .22 allows a new hand-gunner a reduced cost to shoot hundreds of rounds. It takes many hours and hundreds of rounds to become familiar with hand guns use. :)